Normal Glucose Level

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TerryK, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryK

TerryK New Member

2 weeks of shots...went to vet yesterday to draw blood...vet called today saying 290...is this a good reading for cat to be at? Tech mentioned good control, but a bit low. Go 2 more weeks at same shot amt, then wants to see again for weight and another curve. My cat hates me runs and hides does not want to go to the vet anymore
    :(

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

What is the 290? Is that the results from a blood glucose test or a fructosamine test?

3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Has your vet talked to you about testing your kitty's blood glucose at home? It's easy to do, and really is vital for ensuring kitty's safety. It will also make kitty happy not to have to go back and forth to the vet, and save you a few $$ in vet fees!

FurBabiesMama likes this.
  4. TerryK

TerryK New Member

Glucose reading

5. TerryK

TerryK New Member

I broached the subject with my Vet and he stated "we do not recommend it-cats don't like it"

6. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Tell that to my kitty, who runs to the "testing spot" if I am even in the general area. She doesn't love the pokes, I'm sure, but she's a huge fan of the treats and snuggles she gets afterwards!

7. TerryK

TerryK New Member

oops may be the fructosamine test....so for either is that a good reading? Vet Tech stated @ 290 is a little low but maintaining good control.

8. FurBabiesMama

If the 290 was a blood glucose test result, I do not know why the Tech would have "mentioned good control, but a bit low". First of all, one blood glucose test result does not tell you if there is 'good control' or not. Second, 290 is not 'a bit low'. It is not outrageously high, but it is over the renal threshold. If it was a fructosamine result, that is within the range of a 'normal, non-diabetic' cat. It is a bit lower than you would normally expect from diabetic cat who has only been on insulin a short time.

If it was my cat, I would start home testing. Forget what your vet says on that topic. Most of them are unbelievably ignorant when it comes to diabetes. Even the AAHA guidelines (link in my signature) say that home monitoring is the best way to go. You see, a fructosamine test give you an average over a period of 2 to 3 weeks, but it does not really show you what is going on. A cat can be all over the place.. going super high then crashing really low, and their average can still look decent. That test is helpful at diagnosis and in cases when the pet owner is unwilling to home test or just as another factor to review/consider. It is not nearly as good as home monitoring for truly managing this.

Would you please set up a signature that provides basic info like date of diagnosis, type of insulin used, etc. so that we know that when you post and do not have to ask about it each time. Here are instructions: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  9. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Lol! Squallie will come to me and paw at his test kit, begging me to test him - he will do anything for Orijen treats!

10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My cat was squirmmy the first two weeks of testing... I started giving her a treat for each test. Now she purrs through it and sits nicely for them 3-6 times a day. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Vets who say that are doing it wrong. My vet was doing it wrong too in that she thought you had to aim for the vein. You want to aim for the space just inside from the edge. 3326BC90-FAE7-4D0F-B53B-D783527D8760.jpeg

12. FurBabiesMama

Mia gets up in her tower (our testing spot) and holds her little ear out for me to prick it. She does not even want her treat a lot of the time. She just jumps down after.

The vet that diagnosed Mia told me that she strongly recommended against home testing because it would "damage the animal human bond". I started educating myself the day Mia was diagnosed and knew right away that I had to test and that that vet was ignorant about diabetes (not only the testing comment, but a few other things... the testing comment was just the final straw). Her statement has proven COMPLETELY false. Mia was always a mama's baby, but that has become so much more true. Our bond is much stronger now.

13. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

When my vet gave Callie her diagnosis, she took the time to teach me how to test and how to give her the shot. She sent me home with everything I needed to care for a diabetic cat. Insulin, syringes, meter, strips and a case of canned DM cat food. She sent home forms for recording herBG levels, what,how much and when she ate and her insulin dose. She also gave me special graphs for doing curves. She and her staff were very helpful. When I found this board, they were very support. They love the SS. She has all her diabetic patients using it.

14. Lilly’s Mom

Lilly’s Mom Member

I just starting home testing this weekend and my sweet Lilly doesn't mind at all. I watched the utube videos on how to do it and it was easy. I didn't have to wrap her up like they do on the utube videos, she just lies on my lap and purrs. I can't even tell if she feels it or not.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  15. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I am so glad you are home testing, it's one of the best ways to show your love for Lilly, by taking care of her.

16. Daunte'

Daunte' New Member

There are also urine kits. Basicaly plastic balls used in litter in a pan, you get some in a dropper, put into a tube and drop off at vet for a test. Home test is better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.