? Normal Levels Perhaps Misdiagnosed, How often should I test Candi's BG

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chrissy66, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

My husband thinks that the vet that was treating Candi for Diabetes misdiagnosed her. As you can tell from her SS her numbers have been normal pretty much after the very 1st shot. I tend to wonder that alot myself because they never did do a urinalysis to confirm there was Sugar in her urine. I called her regular vet (Long Story) and they urged me to keep testing her for a week or two. I myself feel that this is a good idea. My question is, after those 2 weeks and if her sugar stays normal how often would it be best to keep testing her? Once everyday, or a couple of times a week? I know they told me that I could just keep an eye on her for any other symptoms number one being excessively thirsty which she has been drinking alot lot less since we changed her to all canned food.

2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Have you given her insulin after the 1 unit on april 6?

Are you withdrawing the food 2 hours before the test to make sure the number is not food influenced?

When we start the trial to see if a cat has gone into remission we keep testing at the normal shooting time for 14 days so maybe you could keep testing AM and PM for a total of two weeks and see if her numbers remain normal after that we usually test first once a week for a month and then once a month or if she gets sick or acts strange at any time

Magic Johnson likes this.
  3. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Veronica thanks and yes, that was the last time she got insulin. More than 2 hours. In the morning after she eats supper around 7 - 7:30 she doesn't get anything until I check her BG then my husband feeds her with her Thyroid Medicine. Then before the PM test she doesn't get anything after about a little after mid day perhaps around 2 then nothing until I retest her again about 7 or 7:30 depending on what time we get up that morning. I try to do it as close to 12 hours apart as if I were testing her before she would get insulin.

4. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Good luck hopefully she will remain ok

Bellasmom and Chrissy66 like this.
  5. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

When Baby went into remission for a short time... I checked her once a day for about 10 days, then went to twice a week for a couple weeks & then eventually every other week. My vet told me that & to watch for thirst, excess hunger & urinating outside the box. I noticed her thirst increased one day & checked & her sugar was high; so back to insulin. An infection or even stress can elevate the bg at any time. It doesn’t sound like she is diabetic, if her numbers are normal range. Good for you!!

Chrissy66 likes this.
  6. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Thanks Becky. I believe the vet jumped the gun because it all started with the first Steroid Shot that she had gotten. They checked her sugar before giving her the first one and it was in the 300's then when the first shot didn't get her mouth well before they gave her another one they checked her sugar and it was in the 500's. High yes, but the vet believed it was from the steroid shot. With this I decided why not just check her sugar myself at that time I didn't know how just that you do it on the ears. I was getting readings around 300 but some mornings a little higher. At this time we were feeding her 1/2 can a day and a 1/2 c. of Dry Food. Again at that time, I didn't know anything about Dry Food only isn't really good for cats. With her numbers being what they were the one vet in the practice said that he wasn't too concerned with her numbers being in the 300's at the time but he would like to recheck her after the 2 weeks from the second shot. We took her in and her numbers were in the 500's. At this time he told us that it did look like she was a diabetic. No urine was taken just Blood only. Afraid of her having diabetes and not knowing how much or how to give shots I was scared. I explained everything with the vet about it and he said let's wait another week and see how her numbers do. We did that and they had came down to the 300's. I was like okay this is great they have come down 200pts. Well to this vet and this was the 3rd one in the practice that she had seen said she was a diabetic. She then showed me how to give her insulin shots and to feed her Canned Food Only. That of course wasn't any problem because by this time I had saw Dry Food and Diabetic Cats is a no no and I had slowly cut back a little bit more on her dry food and giving her only canned food and her Sardines in Water, No Salt Added.
    If you look at her Spreadsheet to me, I think she was misdiagnosed once we got her home, yes, her BG was a little higher than it needed to be and the insulin dropped it to normal by the next morning. I don't know much about a Cat going into remission just after 1u of insulin. Since then her numbers have been normal.

7. Stella and Ciara

Stella and Ciara Member

My cat has just been diagnosed as diabetic and i truly blame the steroid injection she had for her sore nose in December she was tested just prior to that and was not diabetic
    Yet just a couple of weeks ago she tested positive for diabetes
    I am very upset but more upset that her nose has not got better and cancer is suspected poor Ciara

8. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Oh Stella I am so sorry. Hopefully they can help Ciara. Thanks that is what we believed happened with Candi.

9. Stella and Ciara

Stella and Ciara Member

Thank you Chrissy

Chrissy66 likes this.
  10. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Looks normal bg to me! I’d say test her for a few days to make sure...
    Sorry that your Ciara is ill.. I hope there’s something they can do. Steroids will raise those bg numbers & can cause diabetes.

Chrissy66 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.