not eating the same + diarrhea

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sugarsquishy, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

squishy has been doing very good with his diabetes, but i have a couple other concerns right now. he has had diarrhea for the last 2 or 3 days, and his eating habits have changed. when he first started with the wet food he would gobble up a whole can when i put it in front of him. lately he has not been eating like that. he has only been eating maybe 1/3 to 1/2 a can when i put a whole can in front of him, and then he leaves the rest. i have just been putting water on what he does not eat and leaving it out. he eventually goes back and eats again, but this is just strange and new to us cause i am so use to him eating it all up like he is never going to get food again! haha. i am pretty sure he is drinking water. he does not drink near as much as he did before we knew he was diabetic. i am a little nervous he is not getting enough water. i dont want him to be dehydrated. i know his wet food has lots of water in it, and like i said i have been putting about a table spoon(or two depending on how much food he leaves) of water on his food. when should i start to get worried about this or should i be already? and also what can i do to help his diarrhea without doing anything to his bg levels?

thanks,
    heather.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi!

Squishy's numbers look great! :mrgreen:

How's he doing lately?

3. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

Now mind you I have not had a diabetic for 2 years but I think once their numbers start to get better controlled the less hungry they can become. When they have high numbers their bodies aren't processing the food correctly so they are hungry all the time. Hopefully that is what is going on here.
    Have you changed any of his food? That can sometimes cause diarrhea. I added a probiotic to my cats food when they would get loose bowels from the change and it helped. Hope he is better soon!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Heather tom has been doing the exact same thing for the last 3 days. just not eatting as much or as enthusiastically.
    the water you are adding should be plenty for him. cats are desert animal and don't require much. you can add some to the bowl the first time you present it to him and more for his 2nd serving.
    i don't know if you offered a new dish lately but that is exactly when tom decided he was'nt a piggy. i gave him a can of evo, duck. he ate a fair amount but did'nt finish (a first) and he has not finished a meal since.
    as for diarhea, he could have a stomach or intestinal bug causing him to lose his appetite.
    as long as he's getting a fair amount of food in and seems fine otherwise i'd see if he just rides it out. in other words don't worry. how is he acting overall?
    i have forgotten what to give for diarrhea...

5. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

over all i think he is pretty good. he has not been playing as much. i just myself got over a cold, well i am still getting over it, could i have made him not feel well? he is still playing and snuggling, but he does seem a little tired. i have not changed his food i did add a new one to his rotation, maybe thats what did it, i am not sure. my hubby thinks he might have a stomach bug or something, but i am just not sure. i just know i dont want to do anything or have him get anything that will get in the way of his 7 days no insulin.... i wish his poo would get better he has long hair, and i am not liking wiping his but after he uses the little box. haha. but that tis what i will do if i have too. aww the things we do for our sugar babies..

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well i think it's a bug too. and you might try those baby wipes on his butt. it cleans really good and cools off a sore butt from diarrhea.
    treat the WHOLE cat not just the #'s. even if he throws you one or two more shootable #'s in the next couple of weeks he's still in remission. it's natural for that to happen. remission is not a straight line, sometimes it throws you one or two more 'shoot me's!!'

7. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Prayers and Angels coming to your house to help with that tummy bug. I have a 17 years old that can`t poo so don`t know what is worst he was at the vets last week for the whole day cost us $162. just to get him to have a poop and this is not the first time poor baby. If you find out what made your have diarrhea let me know I will use a little bit to help Schooch. by the way he is not our diabetic that is Trey Hope all goes well nite LOL Kath :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.