? Not home tonight to take PMPS.

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Cathie and Shaak Ti, Mar 18, 2017.

  1. Cathie and Shaak Ti

    Cathie and Shaak Ti Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2016
    I have been upping Shaak's doses at a varying length of days at one dose. I am wondering how long I should leave dose before raising it? I want to raise her to 4 u even though she has only been at 3.5 u for five days in the evening. a couple of times I went lower than 3.5 u because I could not be home to watch over her. I just know she is in fact dropping on average 100 points at +3. I have had some health problems and have not been able to do any curves since she came out of remission. and while ECID and even your own cat can be different from month to month and year to year you could glean some knowledge from her 2016 SS, you just have to go back to February and March of 2016 in order to see her numbers. I am hopefully going to be able to do a curve tomorrow to get a better picture. I am just used to navigating low numbers, not high numbers.
     
  2. MrWorfMen's Mom

    MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Hi Cathie. I looked at Shaak's SS and she was getting better numbers with the 2.5u dose than she is with the higher doses of 3 and 3.5u which leads me to wonder if you should go back to 2.75u and try that for a few days. Personally, I would hold doses for at least 6 cycles and if you get any lower numbers or major drops suggesting bouncing might be occurring, then I'd hold another couple of days barring any readings that are too low. I'm not convinced Shaak needs an increase. If I were you, I'd back up a bit and work up slowly by 0.25u at a time if need be. She might be dropping by 100 points at +3 but the question is why are her pre-shots higher now and I have to wonder if she is bouncing from those steep drops. The problem is that not only will low numbers set off bouncing but so will big drops and today Shaak dropped 150 points from AMPS to +3.
     
  3. Cathie and Shaak Ti

    Cathie and Shaak Ti Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2016
    okay. I will go with 2.75u. I just want so much to get her to blues and greens again.
     
  4. Cathie and Shaak Ti

    Cathie and Shaak Ti Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2016
    somehow I missed that sharp drops can cause bouncing, I never knew that, or at least don't remember learning it. Shaak never bounced last year, she just steadily went lower and lower till I did her OTJ trial.
     
  5. Cathie and Shaak Ti

    Cathie and Shaak Ti Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2016
    @MrWorfMen's Mom Shaak's PMPS is 380. Are you sure I should drop down to 2.75 u
     
  6. MrWorfMen's Mom

    MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Sorry Cathie. I didn't see your post till now. Was getting some ZZZ's. I so understand the desire to get Shaak back to the blues and greens but it's not just a case of increasing. It's the patterns and with Novolin and the quick substantial drops, it quite likely is causing Shaak's system to panic and bounce. You can't rush these guys. The bounce may be clearing a bit but you don't want to set off another bounce. So yes I would still back off to 2.75u. It's easier to take the dose up slowly than it is to back down and I am just concerned that you might have missed that perfect dose for Shaak.
     
  7. Cathie and Shaak Ti

    Cathie and Shaak Ti Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2016
    okay, I gotcha. Patience. Will do.
     
  8. Cathie and Shaak Ti

    Cathie and Shaak Ti Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2016
    +3 257

    We got a yellow!! on 2.75u
     
  9. Cathie and Shaak Ti

    Cathie and Shaak Ti Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2016
    +5 202

    this is amazing.
     
  10. Cathie and Shaak Ti

    Cathie and Shaak Ti Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2016
  11. Cathie and Shaak Ti

    Cathie and Shaak Ti Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2016
  12. Cathie and Shaak Ti

    Cathie and Shaak Ti Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2016
    +8 fell asleep

    +9 267

    +10 294
     
  13. MrWorfMen's Mom

    MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Yeah! Slow and steady wins the race with these furry mysterious creatures! :D
     
    Cathie and Shaak Ti likes this.
  14. Cathie and Shaak Ti

    Cathie and Shaak Ti Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2016
    I could not be home tonight to take Shaak's PMPS, I am very sleepy. Right now Shaak is on 2.75u of her Novolin. Should I give her a smaller token dose without the BG or just skip the shot. I hate to skip shot but I also can't stay awake for much longer, I will only sleep for two to three hours before waking but I just can't guarantee I will be awake to watch as close as I would need to if I give the regular dose, though at the regular dose she is not getting any lower than a few yellows a cycle. @MrWorfMen's Mom, @Marje and Gracie
     
  15. JanetNJ

    JanetNJ Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2016
    I would give the regular dose. Definitely not lower. 2.75 doesn't seem like it's enough. She's been in these high numbers along time with very few blues. She may be building a resistance to it. I think you need to get more aggressive to find the break through dose or try a different insulin. How old is the vial you're using?
     
    Cathie and Shaak Ti likes this.
  16. MrWorfMen's Mom

    MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    I too think Shaak may need a bit more insulin. Just curious....did you skip the PM shot on the 19th and last night? Skipping shots will set you back a bit because when these furkids sit in higher numbers for the whole cycle it lessens their ability to get used to the lower numbers. You are always going to see higher pre-shot numbers with Novolin but usually they will come down as kitty gets more accustomed to better numbers. When you can monitor, I'd try taking Shaak up to 3u if numbers aren't improving. As Janet says, there could be a little insulin resistance occurring but I'd stick with slow steady dosing.
     
    Cathie and Shaak Ti likes this.
  17. Cathie and Shaak Ti

    Cathie and Shaak Ti Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2016
    the vial is brand new, I bought it last week because I thought the other vial that was two months old was not any good. Turns out it was fine, same kind of numbers on new vial as we were having on old vial. Right now I can not switch insulins, not a possibility. I went with regular dose last night. Unfortunately this morning our roommate woke up with swollen leg and foot and must take him to VA, so I won't be able to be home to monitor this morning, I will just give the 2.75 again and will go up to 3u tonight. I got Shaak OTJ with this insulin once, her remission lasted for 10 months until she got a UTI. I feel confident I can make this work again.
     
    JanetNJ likes this.
  18. MrWorfMen's Mom

    MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Cathie, with your determination and commitment to Shaak I have no doubt you'll get him off the juice again. These guys don't read the rule book so what worked last time may take longer this time so keep the faith!
     
    Cathie and Shaak Ti likes this.
  19. Cathie and Shaak Ti

    Cathie and Shaak Ti Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2016
    Thank you for that @MrWorfMen's Mom, I appreciate the support in these trying times. Just got back from VA Hospital with our roommate, He probably has a blood clot, the ultrasound did not show one but the Dr said that means nothing, he has all the symptoms of one, so Phil has to put his feet above his heart for most of the weekend, He told the doctor he was still going out during the day this weekend, that if he has to die he is going to be having fun up until the moment. That's my roommate. On Monday he goes back for another ultrasound.
     

Share This Page