Not looking good for my Calvin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Alice and Tabby, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

back from vet. He thinks the lump is most likely a tumor. He gave her a shot of antibiotic that is suppose to work the same as the 10 day stuff just in case it's an infection. If the lump doesn't shrink in 3-4 days than it's a tumor. Can't operate on it because it's by her coroted artery and it would be too dangerous and it could also be cancer. He also found that there is something wrong with her heart. It isn't beating right. Also thinks she could have thyroid problems. She's 16 years old and it isn't looking good. Please pray that it's just an infection and goes down in a few days. Send prayers and good thoughts are way. Right now I want to hope and pray it's an infection. I can't deal with the other even though I can't stop crying.

Attached Files:

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Did they run bloodwork?

Hyperthyroidism can present with a large tumor, my own Keesha had a large tumor, but it was not located in her neck where I could palpate it, hers was by her trachea which caused her to cough quite a bit when she got up from sleeping. HyperT, unregulated can lead to high blood pressure, hypertension, which could be the heart problem your vet mentioned.

Your Calvin is in the age range for hyperthyroidism.

I'm not saying it definitely is hypert, but hopefully you got some blood drawn and bloodwork can help figure out what's going on.

Did the vet pull any fluid from the lump to have sent out?

I'm really sorry, I know how hard it is, you love Calvin and she loves you so much. When they get sick it hurts, it's a kick in the gut, but for right now, at this very moment, give her some hugs and some extra kisses and enjoy her.

3. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

I'm sending tons of prayers from Texas. I pray that it's nothing more than just an infection, and I wish for your furbaby to make a full and speedy recovery. *HUGS*

4. M L and Cleo (GA)

M L and Cleo (GA) Member

Sending many prayers for Calvin; hope you can get some good news.

5. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers it's just an infection!

Looking at your pic, I had to smile at his nails showing. :smile: Is he polydactyl? Looks like there's a nail between toes or something? or is it just the way he's lying?

6. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

No Jen he didn't do any bloodwork. The lump I can feel it's on the side/front of her upper throat. Almost where the jaw and neck curve. I live in a rural Maine town so I don't have access to a lot of things. Is there anything that can be done for hyperthyroidism? I will google it. And he thought the lump felt solid and not fluid filled. I think the infection thing was just to give me hope.

7. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

Alice, praying it's not a bad thing. Hugs from me. Donna

8. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Adding my prayers for your sweet baby.
    Jeanne

9. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

If it's hyperthyroidism a pill called Tapazole is given daily, or you can use a gel form of the medicine and rub it into the ear. There are also two places that I've heard about recently in Maine that have radio iodone (I-131) treatment which is a one time treatment but usually cures the hypert. Hyperthyroidism causes the pituitary gland to produce too much hormones and increases a cat's metabolism. It usually leads to increased water intake, increased urine, some vomitting, sometimes over grooming, fur thinning, and extra energy. Does Calvin have any of those symptoms?

I'd suggest bloodwork, check the T4 or free T4 for Hyperthyroidism but also check for increased white blood cells to see if there is an infection, run a basic senior panel. Mr. Darcy's enlarged lymph node is in basically the same spot, as I mentioned, my vet drew the blood from it, she looked at it under a scope and said it was fine, no cancer, but we dont know why it's enlarged again.

10. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

Yes steph she has big huge mitten paws on both of her front paws. You can hear her coming from 2 rooms over. And my husband like the comic Calvin and Hobbs so we named her and her sister Calvin and Hobbs. Hobbs passed many years ago but Calvin is still here. Just got off the phone with my husband. He called from work to see what the vet said. Calvin has been his cat for the last 16 years. We both love her but she lays on him every night and he will pat her for hours.

11. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

((Alice)) Will be holding out hope it is just an infection. You can never really be sure. And even if it isn't, as long as Calvin is happy she may not even be aware there is a tumor growing in her. And not all tumors are cancerous...some are benign.
    Just wondering if your vet can do a fine needle aspirate if it doesn't shrink so you can know better what you are dealing with. If it turns out to be a form of cancer there may be things that can be done without surgery to help Calvin.
    Of course...still hoping it is an infection that will clear up soon!

12. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

best wishes for your Calvin. I hope it's the cheapest illness (infection) but even if it's something worse, don't give up hope yet. The hyper-t definitely is treatable -- 16 is not at all too old for either the tapazole or I-131. And sometimes even cancer can be beaten back or if nothing else, managed for a while with palliative care. Hopefully you can get a few more tests run to pin down the problem.

laur

13. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Sending prayers, and hugs.

14. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending good thoughts. He's a definite looker!

15. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that the meds work and the node goes down and is NOT a tumor. Sending lots and lots of healing vibes to your sweet Calvin.

Emmy & Dude

& Mittsi too (Hey Calvin - polydactyls rule, right - 'speshully us gurl onez !!!!! multi-toed paw pats to U, gurlfriend.)

16. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

alice i can understand how multiple issues can be alarming (dealing with that with my kitties too). but just take it one thing/day at a time. that's how you get through it.
    it is so not unusual to be talking thyroid problems around that age or slightly earlier and it is SO fixable. the I131 treatment is too expensive for some of us but the tapazole (methimazole) is a godsend. usually you start with a half pill every 12 hrs. i buy it at costco but there are plenty of places that carry it. it makes a huge difference and cuts down on many symptoms.
    hope the lump is just a fatty lump or something not critical.
    lots of kitties get heart murmurs if they're stressed out or not feeling well. guessing that may be the heart issue your vet mentioned. with cleo, it comes and goes.
    we're all pulling for ya, girl.

17. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

will be sending prayers and positive thoughts it is just an infection ...

18. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

((((Alice)))) Be well Calvin.

19. Susan G and Tiger GA

Susan G and Tiger GA Member

sending many purrs and prayers for calvin and for you too, i just went through a scary episode w/16 yr old tiger, thought i was going to lose him, but he rallied and i hope the meds will do the same for calvin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.