Not sure how much to dose right now, only 2nd time dosing him

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA), Feb 24, 2019.

1. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Jack is newly diagnosed. I’ve had trouble getting enough blood and have only been able to get a reading 3 times before tonight (all on Friday), and I only gave him insulin one time (.5U). Yesterday, no reading so no insulin.

Right now, I got enough blood (with a ReliOn meter) and his BG is 394. (He last ate over 3 hours ago, just a little canned Friskies). I’m not sure how much to give him right now. I’d love some input. I’m a little nervous. The vet wants 2U every 12 hours, but what should I begin with now? (His fructosamine was over 700 at the vets 9 days ago.)

Thank you so much.

~ Carolyn

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Just to be clear: the blanks in the cells ("U") where units given would be mean he did not get insulin. Correct? I suggest you try 1 unit, the usual starting dose. Try very hard to get those pre shot tests.

Re testing:
    • Are you warming his ear?
    • Are you using 26 - 28 gauge lancets?
    • Are you aiming for the upper outer very edge of his ear?

3. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Yes. I warm his ear. I'm using 28 gauge, and I hit the outer ear alongside the vein. It's been frustrating because I do poke him and he does bleed a little, but not enough to get a reading. Today, I bought a ReliOn meter, and I had no problem getting it to read. Also, I got more blood tonight because i tried another technique. That aside, all of those cells are empty because I had no BG readings and gave him no insulin. I was afraid because of the switch to low carb. I didn't want to make his BG drop too low. (And I was afraid I wouldn't be able to monitor his BG.)
    From this point on, I'm hoping to always get a reading.
    I'll give him 1U. Thank you!

Rachel, Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  4. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

5. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I so appreciate you sharing that link! I learned so much (also from all of the comments). First, I had no idea that the lancet was beveled. But even more significant (to Jack and his mommy), I learned how to put the blood drop on my fingernail!! It was like a miracle when I did that tonight, after two previous times of sticking him and not being able to get a reading. (Not enough blood the 1st time, and then Jack ran away the 2nd time.) That tip was a life changer.