? Not sure if missy just had a hypo?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lorraine Cowderoy, Aug 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lorraine Cowderoy

Lorraine Cowderoy New Member

Not sure if Missy just had a hypo? Rapid heart rate, frothing at mouth, arms and legs moving whilst lying down. Gave some sugar in water via syringe. Breathing seems normal but she's just laying there. Not sure whether to give more sugar. Help!

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Do you have a glucometer to test her BG? If so what is the reading?

It sounds like she had a seizure and it could well be from a hypo episode. Yes I'd give more honey or sugar but rub it on her gums. Then I would contact your vet or take her to the nearest ER. If you have someone to drive you all the better so you can administer more sugar/honey enroute.

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

If Missy is unresponsive DO NOT syringe fluid into her mouth. Use karo (corn syrup) or honey to rub on her gums or inside her cheeks.

4. Lorraine Cowderoy

No you gluco metre and it's 2.54 am. I'll give more sugar. I have no honey.

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

Do you have any cake icing...not chocolate though. If so use that to rub on Missy's gums. Giving anything fluid if she is not responsive could result in aspiration and just makes things worse. Is there an ER near you? Could you call a cab to take her?

Is she becoming more responsive yet?

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  6. MrWorfMen's Mom

Another idea....if you have icing sugar, make a paste out of it and rub that on Missy's gums.

7. Lorraine Cowderoy

No not really responding, will try rubbing icing sugar on her gums.
    ER for animals, no none around here

8. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Maple syrup?

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  9. MrWorfMen's Mom

Thank you @Nan & Amber . Was wracking my brain trying to think of stuff and never thought of the maple syrup!

10. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Call your vet. They will have a message on their phone about who to contact for after hours emergencies.

11. Red & Rover (GA)

Use "golden syrup" if you have that.

12. Nan & Amber (GA)

Yes, please call your vet. Giving some kind of sugar will help if the problem is hypoglycemia, but it could be something else, and no matter what a seizure requires emergency action.

More sugar ideas: wiith the time difference, I'm guessing you're somewhere in Europe or the UK, so maybe treacle or golden syrup (going by memory from my brief time in UK-- pretty sure those are both just basically sugar?).

13. MrWorfMen's Mom

Do you have a feeding syringe (no needle)? If so, you could mix up some sugar water and give it to Missy rectally.
    Sugar will only keep BG up for a short period so you are going to have to continue administering until she becomes more responsive/acting more normal that she can eat on her own.

14. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

15. Lorraine Cowderoy

Got Missy to 24 hour hospital vet close by after rubbing icing sugar on her gums she came around but was unable to stand, sugar reading was 2. Learnt she'd been having seizures. Not happy with my current vet as they didn't tell me this could happen. This vet seems to know more and was talking about helping me with doing blood tests at home cause she would be calmer. Thanks to those who replied, it was a very scary time.
    Thanks Red & Rover, that's what I did rang the vet for the recorded msg.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  16. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

How scary!!! So glad this emergency vet will be helping you learn to test at home, and glad you got kitty to the emergency vet at all!!!!! I hope Missy has a good recovery. Please keep posting here with questions and anything you need. No question is too big or too small, we just want to help. Home testing helped me save my cats life!!! Hugs to you and chin scritches for Missy.

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  17. MrWorfMen's Mom

Lorraine, thank you so much for letting us know Missy is recovering. We all worry like mother hens about every kitty and their people who come here and we were all praying for Missy. You have no idea how happy I am to see this news.:)

As mentioned, we are here to help in any way we can and there is a wealth of information and support to be had from this community.

18. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Omg how scary!!! Thank goodness you were able to save her and get help!!!!! She may be very insulin sensitive for a while after that servere hypo. Glad you're going to start testing at home. It has saved my cat many times, including yesterday.
    This is a video showing how I test my cat CC at home

Sharon14 likes this.
  19. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

How scary!!! I’m so glad Missy is Ok!

20. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

Lorraine, so happy to hear you got the help you needed to save little Missy. To get the full benefit of the help available here there are a couple of things you could do.
    1) set up your signature. Go to you bame top right of the page, click and you'll get a drop down box. On the left you see signature, click and type in basic info. Cat's name ( and your if you like), cat's sex,age,weight. Date of diagnosis, type of insulin and testing meter, what you are feeding missy and any other health issues if any and your location. This means we won't have to ask these questions again and again.
    2) set up your spreadsheet. This is very useful for everyone to see how insulin is affecting Missy. You'll eventually see Missy's patterns and how the insulin is working for her. You will find out how to do this on the board "tech help"

So glad you've decided to home test, it's so so important, as you now know. One other thing, you might want to set up a hypo kit as well. Find a place or box and always have extra test strips and lancets along with some syrup and high carb food. Keep the emergency vets phone number and address in here as well. It's nice to have all this stuff on hand when and if Missy ever has a low BG again.

I don't want you to feel overwhelmed with all of this but it is important and with this little bit of set up you'll help everyone here help you.:)

21. Nan & Amber (GA)

So happy to hear that Missy is OK!

Love the picture-- she is a gorgeous pile of floof, isn't she? Give her lots of extra skritches today, she's earned them!

22. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank God you got Missy to the 24 hour hospital, you said you learned that she had been having seizures, did this happen before? Was it from the insulin? I hope Missy recovers quickly

23. Red & Rover (GA)

This news has made my day.
    Thank you for letting us know that everything turned out well.
    The ER vet is one of the good ones. Vets in general get little training in diabetes.
    Please do stick around. There are members from all over the world here. We can help in all sorts of ways.

24. Lorraine Cowderoy

Thank you so much, I'm feeling supported by these comments.

No she hadn't had seizures before. I started insulin injection last Tuesday and she had the hypo and seizures early Sunday morning. Her numbers are all over the place, she's still in hospital, I hope to bring her home tomorrow, they are testing her blood every 4 to 6 hours. Today her reading was 5. Its costing a fortune but I love her!!

25. Lorraine Cowderoy

Thanks for the youtube video, it was very informative.
    I was at the vet today, they said they've made a scab inside her ear and all I will have to do is peel the scab of so it bleeds!!
    You would think that it would make it sore?
    Yes i don't think she's needed insulin since being in hospital.

26. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

That could make it scar up. I wouldn't do that. They probably poked the vein. You want to aim for the sweet spot. A1D906D7-ACAE-4304-919D-B84DE286E52B.jpeg

Lorraine Cowderoy likes this.
  27. Diane Tyler's Mom

Sorry to hear this Lorraine, please keep us updated about Missy, praying she improves

28. MrWorfMen's Mom

Glad to hear Missy may be coming home soon.:D

I agree with Janet.....don't use the scab as that will be painful for Missy and cause scarring which is only going to make getting Missy to co-operate and you to get a blood sample harder. Leave that area to heal as it's likely a bit bruised at this point in time. Sorry to say it, but with proper testing you should NEVER have a scab on the ear. Testing is very simple once you get the hang of it and most kitties learn its for their own good and willingly come and sit for us to do it.

Do keep us posted. We'll be looking for an update on your beautiful girl!

29. Red & Rover (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.