Not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Victoria & Buttons, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

They have it at 29.7% dry matter basis...that's crazy high

And the ingredients are awful too:

Water, Pork Liver, Carrots, Powdered Cellulose (This is a nice word for sawdust), Tuna, Chicken, Corn Starch, Wheat Gluten, Egg Whites, Dried Tomato Pomace, Rice, Chicken Liver Flavor (note "flavor", not chicken liver) , Flaxseed, Soybean Oil, Coconut Oil, Potassium Alginate, Fish Oil, Calcium Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Choline Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, L-Lysine, Monosodium Phosphate, Taurine, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Potassium Citrate, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, L-Carnitine, minerals (Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate), Calcium Carbonate

I still don't understand why they'd want you to feed a weight loss food to a cat that needs to gain weight!!! From their website:

Weight + Urinary Care

Just like the human epidemic, almost 50% of the pet population is overweight. Even a little extra weight can impact the pet's quality of life and relationship with family because that extra weight can reduce play time, put your cat at risk of urinary conditions like bladder stones and affect the lifelong general health of your cat.

Hill's nutritionists & veterinarians developed Prescription Diet® Metabolic + Urinary Feline clinical nutrition especially formulated to help manage your cat's weight and urinary health. In fact, Metabolic + Urinary Feline has clinically tested nutrition to reduce the most common urinary signs by 89% AND proven to reduce body weight by 11% in 60 days.

2. Victoria & Buttons

Victoria & Buttons Member

Okay thank you Chris for that. So maybe my meter isn't wrong by saying hi sugars? :/
    Do I switch her back to fancy feast? Will it help her weight. I'm lost :(

I'll add the numbers asap

3. Victoria & Buttons

So i looked up Royal Canin Diabetic wet. Am I correct in calculating that it is 26% dry matter basis?
    I dont know if i should stick to the same fancy feast or try something different.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Probably not if you're feeding the high carb foods

I'd stick with the Fancy Feasts or Friskies that you know are low carb....the Friskies "Concoctions" Salmon and Chicken liver pate (purple can) is about double the calories and still low carb.

Kitten Fancy Feast are also low carb but higher in calories

What's most important is just getting her blood glucose under better control....Look at "China's Profile" in my signature....you'll see the difference a little time and insulin can do!

5. Victoria & Buttons

Okay thanks Chris! Does all the Kitten Fancy Feast work (aside from gravy ones)?

6. Chris & China (GA)

I think there are only two flavors of Kitten and they're both pates

7. Victoria & Buttons

Okay thanks. Should I continue on this thread or go to the Lantus forum?

8. Chris & China (GA)

I would move to the Lantus forum now since that's the insulin you're using. You'll get the most experienced eyes there

Over there, we post once daily (because there are so many of us!) and you start with the Date/Cats name and AMPS number in the subject line...then as the day goes on, you can "edit" the subject line to add any new test results. If you have a question that day, add the ? Prefix in the subject line and then when your question is answered, you remove it by choosing "No prefix"

In the body of the post you'd put the link to the prior day's post and then give the "Whole Cat Report"....how she's feeling, how she's eating, is she peeing/pooping/playing/preening/purring? (those are the 5 "P's") along with any questions you might have.

Take a look at some of the other people's posts there and you'll see what I mean

9. Victoria & Buttons

Okay. Im sorry Im feeling super overwhelmed right now. Clearly Im not doing something right. Her number are not moving and I made sure that the needle when in. My mom just brought another meter to make sure the other one I had wasnt faulty and no, still high. Im feeling like the worst person right now and like I'm killing her. She is drinking a lot, and I have tested yesterday and today with no ketones in urine. :(

10. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

You should ask on the lantus forum for help, the people here are using PZI. It works differently than Lantus. :bighug:

11. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Aw Victoria! I'm so sorry. I promise you are NOT killing her, you're saving her. I believe it will take a few days to see the effects of Lantus due to the depot. Give it some time.

Please do post over in Lantus and get their input...they're a larger group than this and have some specific posting conventions as Chris mentioned but they'll be happy to help and advise as we were!

The bright side is the ketones..make sure you keep testing often and this way, should something else happen, you'll have wind of it immediately and can get treatment ASAP!

12. Chris & China (GA)

This is good!! Keep testing though!!

The vet started you too low in my opinion.....we take into consideration the dose the cat was on before (even a different insulin)

I'd increase to 1.5 tonight and start posting on the Lantus forum

TempestsMum, Kris & Teasel and Rachel like this.
  13. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, please do move your posts to the Lantus forum where you can get a lot of help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.