Nova Max Plus

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Simon'sMommy, Jul 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon'sMommy

Simon'sMommy Well-Known Member

Thanks to a post here, I got one of these free for Simon and it just came today but it only came with two free ketone strips and those babies cost big buckos ! :shock: :shock:

Does anyone use one of these for ketones and if so, is there a better time to test than others? For example, before food? Or, is it just best to test when you get a high reading?

Lately, he has been tough to catch in the act of peeing in his box so I have had a hard time testing with the strips and with a fair amount of his pre shot numbers in the 300's, I thought I should have a way to test.

How often since the strips cost so much money (like 3 plus dollars apiece!!) should we test with this meter? I will continue to use the Bayer Contour for his blood glucose readings as the strips are cheaper for that as well, even though the Nova tests both.

TIA for any insight you can give me on this! :YMPEACE:

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yes, the strips are very pricey. That's why most folks use urine test strips. If his glucose is up over 300 mg/dL much of the time, I'd test daily. Ketones can happen quickly. Too many and you've got a huge vet bill and possibly no cat at the end of it.

There are some tips on getting the specimen in my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools, if you haven't read any tips yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.