novolin help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by carose, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carose

carose Member

been using novolin for about 6 weeks..the vet told us 3 untis 2x daily...when we started home testing we could not get bg lower than 35o...on a different board smeone suggested to add 1 unit..from 5/16/10 to 5/21/10 we gave him 4 untis with no lower bg...found this site and immediately read about the food...switched from hills prescription w/d wet and dry to wet food from bunkys chart...on 5/22 i started the chart...did not lower dose until sunday nite...i dont remember the numbers anymore...should i lower the dose tom am? vet is calling me at worktom i am talking with her about a longer lasting insulin...
    elvis is sleeping in the window (where he usually is at this time 8:40 pm) i am gonna check him again at 9:30

2. carose

carose Member

almost 4 hours after injection his bg is 74...i am thinking about 2 1/2 units tom am...defeniatly talking to vet about different insulin...i dont like this roller coaster ride...
    any advice...

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

74 is a nice number, but yes, a longer lasting insulin will even out the roller coaster to a nicer level.

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Even with dry food, 3 units is a relatively high dose to start on, and 4 even more so. Without hometesting you don't know if that dose was too high or too low; hte high numbers you did get could be a result of rebound caused by overdosing. My suggestion is that now you've changed the diet, lower the dose and start testing prior to each shot and also at approximately 4 hours post shot to see how the insulin is working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.