Novolin N

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Peppersmom72, Nov 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

My Pepper was just diagnosed and this is the first time her PM BG is this low. She is due for her shot now! I know its still on the high side, but I'm nervous about giving her a full unit since the Novolin N makes her dip a lot fast, sometimes 200 points. I'm afraid of her going into hypo.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

As long as you are testing and have some high carb food or Karo in the house, I'd go with the 1U dose again

She'd have to fall a LOT to be in any danger, but if you get a +2 test, that should help in case you need to intervene

3. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

She doesn't drop fully for 4-5 hours. Should I give a .5 dose instead? or the full 1 u?

4. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

Her appetite is less than ideal today

5. Chris & China (GA)

Can you test tonight IF you have to?

6. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

Yes, absolutely.

7. Chris & China (GA)

I really think you could go ahead with the 1U and just test at +2....if he's dropping too fast, we can always give him a little snack of higher carb food ....but if your gut tells you no, go with the .5

Either way will be good data and a learning experience for you

8. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

Thank you. I gave her .5 and will still test in +2 and +5, when it hits the hardest. I'm just too nervous to give her a full dose. She has hardly eaten today. She has just been sleeping most of the day. This will definitely be a learning experience that maybe this insulin isn't for her.

9. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with you both ;-)

Going with your gut is always the best way to go, especially since you are less than a week in. But to Chris' point, with the numbers that you are seeing, 1U would probably have been fine. But you hold the needle and you have to be comfortable.

I am NOT trying to scare you, but since I am not familiar with your history and since there aren't as many US folks on the board because of the holiday, I just want to make sure that you are familiar with http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/ If not, I would make sure to print it out and give it a read over, not necessarily for tonight, but so that you are familiar in general.

And like Chris said, this will be a good data and learning experience for you, and the results will help you shape what you do next time. In the mean time...Pepper, please eat your foods! Your mama would be very happy if you would!

Sandi.

10. Chris & China (GA)

How's Pepper doing Missy??

We do watch for updates, especially when someone shoots a number they're uncomfortable shooting

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  11. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

She's good this a.m. Usual self, nice and hungry this morning.

Sharon14 likes this.
  12. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

That's good news. And now with your before bed test from last night, you can see that for next time (especially is Pepper is eating normally), you could try shooting the full 1 unit. That is what Chris meant by a learning experience.

So glad she is eating well this morning!

Sandi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.