now hypo

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pjmuellner, Jun 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pjmuellner

Pjmuellner New Member

Hello. Penny stopped needing insulin in November - thanks to all the advice and support from this group. I've tested her infrequently since then. Lately she's become hypoglycemic - her numbers are low, and I've started testing her more often. She eats I feed her 3 times/day 2 ounces Fancy Feast 3% carbs (6 ounces total). I've given her honey or dry food when her numbers are low. I'm afraid if I do nothing it will get lower and lower. What can I do to control her numbers to bring her up to a more comfortable level? Thank you.

2. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

I don't think it's possible to go hypo when not on insulin. That low number is probably just a new normal. What numbers are you getting? Are the strips new or old(er)?

beggargirl and Pjmuellner like this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If she's not on insulin she can't hypo! Some cats naturally run low. Please don't feed her honey or high carb! I don't see any low numbers on the spreadsheet.

4. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

I have never been on insulin, but I've been hypoglycemic for decades (Dr. diagnosed). It is very possible for humans, is it truly not possible for cats?

Pjmuellner likes this.
  5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Unless there's another disease process going on, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a civvie that routinely tests in the 30's....it can be totally normal.

6. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

Don't worry, her numbers are great, do not try and get her numbers up, they re wonderful.
    You don't want to bump her out of remission by feeding carbs!

She cannot hypo without insulin. My non diabetic kitty tests in the 40's too. Hugs to Penny!

Pjmuellner and Callie & Patches like this.
  7. Butterball

Butterball Member

If she were to go hypo without insulin, she would have the same symptoms as if she went hypo with a shot. So unless she is exhibiting those symptoms it sounds like your cat is doing amazing

Pjmuellner likes this.
  8. Pjmuellner

Pjmuellner New Member

Wow, Im so glad to hear that we dont have to worry. I feel foolish that I didnt understand. When giving insulin, I worried if it got under 50. The test strips are from November. Ill get new ones. Thank you!!!

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  9. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

No need to feel foolish, I got scared the first time Rufus was under 60 when in remission! We all learn these things at different times :)

Pjmuellner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.