Now too low?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PawsUp, Oct 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PawsUp

PawsUp New Member

Hello,

I introduced myself earlier on the other board, but thought it would make sense to have my update here on the main forum.

We took Bert in last week and got a diagnosis of diabetes...his numbers were really high. We started treating him with diabetic food and 2x/day Caninsulin. He went for a recheck yesterday to see if he had stabilized and our vet to check in with us (if this was something we could do long term, etc., etc.). Now, his numbers are waaaaay too low!

So, now we have him off the insulin, staying on the 8 am/pm diabetic wet food and doing another check this coming Tuesday. Vet is hoping his pancreas just needed to heal, is back in business, so with it and the insulin we were giving it was too much. I'm praying his numbers check out next week, b/c I don't want to think about the P word like our vet said we might have to. I've seen it before and it was awful.

Guess we just keep plugging along, loving him and see how Tuesday goes.

Thanks for reading.
    Jenn
    #soconfused

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Jenn, I think it would be to your benefit to visit the CANINSULIN forum and read the sticky about that insulin at the top of the page. If you like, you could also just copy your post here, start a new thread there, and paste the post. It could be that the initial dose twice a day is/was too much for Bert, but he still may need a much smaller amount of insulin to support his pancreas and healing. How much caninsulin were you injecting? What are the blood glucose numbers you have? Are you testing at home at all?
    So you know, the "diabetic" diet foods are too high in carbohydrates and there are less expensive alternatives that are better for Bert. A low carb wet diet (canned, raw or home prepared) is more beneficial and can lower the blood glucose considerably. There is a food chart at the top of the Main Forum page, many of us feed Fancy Feast Classics and/or Friskies pates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.