Nox and his journey

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JessL, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JessL

JessL New Member

So my cat Nox is 6 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes right before Halloween. He's currently on 3 units twice a day, originally was on 2 units but no change in glucose. We were prescribed Royal Canin Glycobalance. But have since decided its not helping. His glucose is still in the 300-400 range. So I'll definitely be looking for substitutions. Also think it's been upsetting his tummy too :( so it's been a bit hard on my little guy. Might even be changing his vet, his first appointment we felt rushed and like it wasn't a priority. We do test at home but he hates it and struggles every time. We are using the Lantus pen which has been going fairly smoothly.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Jess, thanks for providing more info on Nox. I'm sorry it's been a struggle for you both, managing his treatment.
    Many of us feed Fancy Feast classics and Friskies pates, with under 10% carbs. Check out Dr. Lisa Pierson's (www.catinfo.org) food chart HERE
    Dr Pierson recommends " start with protein minimum of 40, fat maximum of 50, carb max of 10, and for cats with kidney issues....phos less than 300."
    It would be very helpful if you would create your signature that will provide Nox's pertinent info with each of your posts:
    SIGNATURE and let us know at least a general geographic location in the signature or profile, so we know where in the world you are. We have members from all over the world and sometimes it's important to know what time it is where you are.
    We also use a spreadsheet to record the insulin shots/dose as well as the BG test results you are getting. This allows all of us to review the trends and patterns to see how the insulin is affecting Nox. Here are the INSTRUCTIONS for setting that up, and how to understand the spreadsheet GRID. The spreadsheet is linked to the signature so the data is available to advising members. We can also help with some tips and advice about making the testing process easier.
    We have insulin support forums also, and I suggest that after you get the signature and spreadsheet done, take a look at the Lantus forum. There are "stickies" at the top that you should read so you know about Lantus and the protocols used here. You can post there with dosing questions and concerns.
    We are here to help and get things going on a better balance for both you and Nox. :cat:

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  3. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Hi Jess, saw you mentioned he is struggling with testing. I started having the same problem and got some good advice here and am going to try starting over to desensitize her to the process to not be afraid of testing. Many people here have gotten to the point where the cat easily accepts it without a fuss, so I am more hopeful it will be possible. Lots of help here for you and Nox on all aspects of his care:cat:

4. JessL

JessL New Member

I'm trying a reward system, everytime we have a great testing time we play with his favorite toy (lazer of course) so trying to associate it with fun and hopefully that'll work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.