NPI number for Lantus savings card

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Erin720, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erin720

Erin720 Member

Hi, so I filled my cat's Lantus last week then I realized afterwards about all the coupons, savings cards, etc. The tech said I could bring a savings card/coupon in within a week and get the credit back. I brought in the Sanofi card today with the discount and the pharmacy tech said I needed an NPI number, which vets don't have. NPI's for MD's only I guess. What are the rest of your pharmacies putting in for that NPI number? Or how are they bypassing that? I tried a couple other random coupons and same problem.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

There's really nothing you can do. It MAY work with the DEA number but not all vets are willing to give that out, even to pharmacies, especially if it's not for a controlled substance.

They also recently changed the rules on the card itself. It used to be you could get a box of pens for $149 or a vial for $99 …..now they are both $99 but it's only good for a 30 day supply. Most cats are on such low doses, that they can't possibly use a 5 pack (or a vial) up in 30 days.

Some people have had luck using it if their vets put "use as directed" on the script, but if they right something like "1U twice a day", that's only 60 units per month.

Most of us are buying it from Canada these days. It's $165 plus $25 shipping for a 5 pack of pens. The nice thing is that once they have the script, you never have to submit another one. They'll refill it as long as needed without a new script. The US requires a new script at least once a year.

Here's more info on buying from Canada for next time if you're interested.

3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I read on the facebook version of the FDMB that people are having issues getting their prescriptions filled from Marks Marine Pharmacy. Large snow storms in Vancouver area and Mark's is backed up in filling orders. Taking weeks to get Lantus shipped.
    @Chris & China (GA)

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

yes, I know....but if she just bought some (despite having to pay full price), the next time she needs it, she may want to use Marks. I'm sure by then they'll have the backlog taken care of ;)

5. Erin720

Erin720 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.