Numbers all over the place. Dosing help please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pudge, Dec 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pudge

Pudge Member

I feel I can’t get pudges numbers to stabilize at all . After his hypo incident on December 11th (when the vet brought him up to 1.5u) we dropped to 1.25u and after a week and still higher nadirs we increased to a “fat” 1.25u dose. Numbers still seem unsteady, tonight for pmps shot I tested and we were at 3.5. It seems 1.25u isn’t enough but 1.35u is too much. His vet said he may have chronic pancreatitis which could have been the reason he came out of remission in the first place and why his numbers are a rainbow but there is no way to know for sure? Does anyone have any suggestions or dosing advice? I will be doing more afternoon and evening testing again as my work schedule is back to normal as of today.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Did you re-test at PMPS to make sure that 3.5 wasn't due to a wonky strip?

3. Pudge

Pudge Member

No I didn’t. I will definitely do that next time. I did get a +4.5 though before his bedtime snack and he was up to 10.1 on my freestyle meter.

4. Pudge

Pudge Member

Tried another fat 1.25u dose today and at +4 tonight we are already down to 2.9. :(

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Try not to get discouraged. He hasn't been on Lantus very long. Yes, he's very volatile (like my guy!) but overall his average PSs are lower on Lantus. Why not try a regular 1.25 today? Try to avoid frequent dose changes because it can lead to more erratic numbers. Have you read the info stickies on the Lantus forum describing the two dosing methods, TR and SLGS? It's best to try hard to follow one of those. The guidelines are very clear and there are a lot of experienced people on that forum to advise.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  6. Pudge

Pudge Member

Thank you! I have and somehow I still haven’t been able to pick what would be best for him right now. I’ll take a look on those stickies again today and figure it out.

On a side note. Are the numbers I am seeing the past few days a bounce?

7. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I hate to say anything because I have not kept my SS up in 2018, but I will try to do better in 2019. My cat Buddy has chronic pancreatitis and has been going through the worst flare ever, his numbers are all over the place. I can test him in 200's then test him later and he will be in the high 300's. I have shaved both sides of his body because I wonder if he had a fur shot, so I want to see the needle go in. A little while a go he was in the 400's. What really scares me is, if he is sick and his numbers are showing that high does it make him more likely to get DKA. I have really burned through the KETONE test strips.

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, they look like bounce numbers.

9. Pudge

Pudge Member

We got our first black ever tonight. Hoping this is just the bounce :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.