Numbers are steady but no remission?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Holly Bliss, Jan 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holly Bliss

Holly Bliss New Member

My sugar cat, Sylvester was diagnosed dec 5/2019. He started on 2 units of prozinc 2x daily. I tested his blood glucose last week and he got readings of 3.2 and 6.7 at +6 and +8.5 post insulin. A call into my vet said to do 2 units in the morning and 1 at night and then retest 5 days later. I retested today and got the following:

+6 hours 2.6
    +7 hours 2.3 (given higher carb wet food)
    +7.5 hours 2.2 (given higher carb wet food with a little honey)
    +8 hours 3.2 (given higher carb wet food with more honey)
    +8.5 hours 6.4
    +9.5 hours 9.9
    +12 hours 7.8
    *no insulin given*
    +24 hours 10.6
    +48 hours 10.5
    + 96 hours 10.1

The vet has been awesome about helping me with his readings and giving advice. They said no insulin and retest Monday and call numbers in.

I know he isn’t in remission as his numbers aren’t low enough, but what is going on here?!!! His numbers are too low to give insulin, but it’s not remission. Could this possibly be a “normal reading” for him?

thanks!

holly

Jennifer R. likes this.
  2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

The 2 Units of insulin in the morning is too much for him and what's sending him into those hypo 2 numbers.
    I would be more concerned in keeping him safe than getting him into remission.

This with remission is a bit misguided too.
    Because not all cats have that type of diabetes that makes them able to get into remission. The fact is most cats are insulin dependent and never gets into remission.
    So a safe and well managed diabetes is better.

Can you set up a Spreadsheet with his tests and bg numbers?
    Setting up instructions on this link http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Jennifer R. and Si am cat mom like this.
  3. Holly Bliss

Holly Bliss New Member

Thank you :)

I don’t have a spreadsheet set up yet. I’ve been just keeping his numbers in a notebook. He hasn’t had insulin since Sunday and the (10.6, 10.5 and 10.1) are all without insulin.

I’m away from a computer at the moment (I’m just on my iPhone). I’ll set that up next week

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Insulin is better dosed at the same number of units in a 24 hour cycle.

Have you thought about reducing the dose? Maybe 1U am and 1U pm. Or even 0.5U AM 0.5U PM

Numbers are creeping back up. Your numbers are basically all the same, within meter variance tolerances.
    10.6 x 18 = 191 mg/dl
    10.5 x 18 = 189 mg/dl
    10.1 x 18 = 182 mg/dl

Have you thought about eliminating the dry food? Some cats are very carb sensitive and that dry food might be keeping the BG's a bit high.

Member @Jennifer R. posted this elsewhere.

FYI, I don't know if this will help you or someone else, but if you have an Android phone or an iPhone, you can install Google Drive and Google Sheets on your phone and you can actually update the spreadsheet from there, if you're not home. Instructions here:
    https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2424384?co=GENIE.Platform=iOS&hl=e

Jennifer R. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.