Numbers coming down too quick?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Brite_eyes06, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Brite_eyes06

Brite_eyes06 Member

Hello everyone!

I've been able to get a few mid-day numbers and they seem to be well over half than what his AMPS was. This afternoon, he's down to 73 at +5 and AMPS was 257.

I am aware that 50 is a good baseline to use for possible hypo situation but 91 to 73 and probably not at nadir yet, makes me a little nervous. Should I be nervous? What do my more experienced feline mommies and daddies think?

After his 73 reading just now, I gave him about 1/4 cup of the contraband food. Again, nervous Nelly. :)

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

That 73 on a human meter was a good number, and you were probably pretty close to nadir. I understand being scared when you are not used to seeing a number like that, so I get why you gave higher carb food, but really, that was not needed at that point. You do not want to 'over carb' and swing things the other way too far. (How high carb was it? It is good to have medium carb on hand so you can use that when needed rather than really high carb.) In a case like this, you could give some of his normal low-carb food instead.

Does he normally get a meal during mid-cycle or do you just feed twice a day?

Brite_eyes06 likes this.
  3. Brite_eyes06

Brite_eyes06 Member

Thank you!

If he acts like he's hungry and it's not 2 hours before his shot, then I feed him his low-card wet food.

So, for future situations like this, I will pause on the contraband until he's 50 or below or in obvious trouble and could have just given him his non-contraband food. Yes? :)

4. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Yes, that's exactly right! When our cat is a little low, we try just to give her about 1/4 of her normal, low-carb food (it's in a 3 oz can), and keep monitoring until she is holding her own/passes the nadir. (Of course, that does depend on when the cat is in the cycle when you get the low number. A plunge at +2 means that you would have to be a little more diligent and consider if/when to break out some of the medium carb food.)

The first time our cat took a dive, I fed her Temptations iced with honey and a full can of gravy food! :D It's a wonder she didn't turn into a doughnut on the spot, lol. But until you've done it a few times, it's hard to believe that they're not going to keel over on the spot and that just a little, LC food (+ vigilant monitoring, of course) can often do the trick.

Djamila and Brite_eyes06 like this.
  5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Yes!
    It may be helpful to have a meal scheduled somewhere around +5 to +6 so that when he is getting near his lowest, there is food in him (low carb). Having a few small meals a day can work out better than just two larger meals. I especially found it to be important when Mia was on ProZinc. To have a high enough dose to bring her into better numbers, there was always a slight risk of her going a little low at nadir. A well-timed meal could help counteract that.

Brite_eyes06 likes this.
  6. Brite_eyes06

Brite_eyes06 Member

Thank you so much. This forum is invaluable. :cat:

7. Brite_eyes06

Brite_eyes06 Member

"I fed her Temptations iced with honey and a full can of gravy food! :D It's a wonder she didn't turn into a doughnut on the spot, lol"

This made me laugh and made me ease up on myself a bit. Thank you!!

Djamila and Jenna Josie like this.