Numbers coming in at 199/200 should I skip doses?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sudio3, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Hello,
    My cat has been on 2ml of insulin for a week and two days. He started out at .5 and we gradually raised it. This morning he tested 200 on the human meter so I skipped his dose and he seemed to do ok during the day. Tonight when I tested him he was 199 on the human meter and 275 on the cat meter (AT2). Before this morning he was always testing high before the shot like high 300’s or low 400’s but I was told it can take a week for the new dose to really show a difference. I was wondering should I skip his dose tonight too or maybe give him 1ml instead? Thank you so much. I appreciate all the help I’m finding here.

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Good morning! Sorry no one was around earlier. We were probably in bed...I know I was!

I would say for most cats it takes less than a week to see the difference. We usually increase doses every 3-6 cycles if a cat is high. I would probably have stuck with the same dose and tested at +2 to see where the dose was headed.

Is there any way you can fill in your SS? It looks like the last day we have data for is the 14th and the more info we have on recent days, the better we can do to help you!

Sudio3 and Djamila like this.
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I think the idea that it takes a week to know what a dose will do comes along with the idea of increasing doses by a full unit at a time. Those large increases can cause the cat to bounce around for a few days before settling into the dose. Because we do smaller dose changes, we don't need to wait as long to see the impact.

Sudio3, Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  4. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Ok Thank you!

5. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Ok thank you. I skipped the morning dose yesterday and he seemed to do well and I skipped the evening dose yesterday and then this morning he's numbers were back up in the high 300's with the AT2 so he is back on the 2ml. We plan to test him every two hours on Friday to get his curve. 02/17/19 and the morning of 02/18/19 are numbers used from the human meter as I ran out of the AT2 strips and couldn't get them easily. I just updated my SS. Thank you!!
    Ok thank you. I skipped the morning dose yesterday and he seemed to do well and I skipped the evening dose yesterday and then this morning he's numbers were back up in the high 300's with the AT2 so he is back on the 2ml. We plan to test him every two hours on Friday to get his curve. 02/17/19 and the morning of 02/18/19 are numbers used from the human meter as I ran out of the AT2 strips and couldn't get them easily so I just left them blank. I just updated my SS. Thank you!!

6. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Also, I realize I'm not doing the best job keeping track of his numbers in the SS. I will do much better going forward.