? Numbers increasing after insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pudge, Jan 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pudge

Pudge Member

AMPS 18.9
    +4 19.1
    +8 20.1
    What does this mean?I feel like we are getting worse :(. We were planning on holding the dose for another week and trying bup. if this is a pancreatitis flare up but the vet is away until the 20th. As per SLGS I should be increasing to 1.25u. Should we try increasing his dose or wait until the vet can get him on buprenorphine ?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Those numbers are essentially the same when allowed meter variance (up to %20) is considered. I'd avoid merely fattening doses right now because he's not dropping low and you haven't reached his good dose range yet. Fat/skinny doses are best used when you're at a good dose range but are finessing the dose. I'd increase to 1.25 u next dose.

3. Pudge

Pudge Member

Yeah we only did a fat 1u to start because the last time we tried 1.25u he went hypo but we will move to 1.25u tonight. Thank you!

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Try and get some more during the cycle BSLs if you can to help us see how the insulin is affecting Pudge. :)

5. Pudge

Pudge Member

Will do, thank you :)

6. Pudge

Pudge Member

We are at 6.1 this morning. Wow this is one volatile kitty! It is crazy that a fat 1u is not working for him at all but 1 dose of 1.25u and we are down to 6!

JanetNJ likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi. Would you please update your ss? I don’t see numbers since January 1 so can’t be of help.

8. Pudge

Pudge Member

There is a new tab that says 2019 at the top left I believe

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I would get some tests in early during this cycle as that is a much lower Preshot than you have had before.

10. Pudge

Pudge Member

Perfect, thank you! At +4 we were at 12.1 I’ll get some more tests in today too. This is the lowest he’s been in a long time

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

He might bounce from the low Preshot as he’s not used having those normal numbers. I see you are starting to get some mid cycle numbers which is great as it helps us see how he is reacting to the insulin. The nadir(lowest point) is the number we base or increases and decreases on). Any bsls during the cycle are very helpful.
    Also notes in the remarks column are good too. Eg food eaten, how he’s feeling. Any health issues, poop issues, everything normal etc.
    Bron

Pudge likes this.
  12. tiffmaxee

Saw it. Thanks. I would not assume the nadir is at +4. I would sporadically test at different times during the cycles. Max used to love to drop at night. We had lots of pj parties.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  13. Pudge

Pudge Member

Yeah I think his nadir is later than that but will take some more testing on days off to find out. PMPS was 14.3 so I will get a test in before I head to bed tonight as this is still lower than usual for him :).
    Thank you everyone for your help and advice!!

14. Pudge

Pudge Member

+3.5 tonight and we are at 3.9. I think we may be having a pajama party

15. tiffmaxee

When I try to switch your ss to the US template it switches to your old ss. I don’t know what 3.9 would be in US numbers but If it’s under 90 I would give some mc food and test in a half hour. I hope you don’t have to stay up too late. Are you okay?

16. Pudge

Pudge Member

Hmmm I will try and fix that in the morning. I believe it works out to 70.2 in US numbers. Okay thank you. I just fed him a snack so I will check again in 30, we should be okay thanks :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.