? Numbers not moving. Bouncing?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by cataphraz, Feb 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cataphraz

cataphraz Member

I'm struggling to understand why my cat's glucose levels are hovering around 18-23 mmol/L despite my efforts. Can someone help me?

Thanks,
    Amber

beggargirl likes this.
  2. rawia

rawia Member

Hi Amber

Maybe if you fill the spreadsheet expert members can help you much better.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It seems that you've started testing only recently. Is your kitty newly diagnosed? If you're posting on this forum you must be using Lantus, correct? I'm sure the pros will weigh in but it looks like the insulin dose is too low.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hi, Amber.

When did you start Mookie on Lantus? I know I would find it helpful if we knew a bit more about your kitty. How long has Mookie been diabetic? What food are you giving your cat? Are there any other health issues going on?

If you've not already done so, you might want to look over the sticky notes at the top of the board. In particular, you might want to decide on which approach to dosing you want to use -- Start Low Go Slow (SLGS) or Tight Regulation (TR).

At the moment, it looks like Mookie isn't getting enough insulin. If you've just started using Lantus, it takes approximately a week for the insulin depot to form. Until the depot has stabilized, you might not see much movement in numbers. In addition, we typically change doses in 0.25u amounts.

5. cataphraz

cataphraz Member

Thanks for replying! I am just inputting all my data into the spreadsheet and I'll post more info on his history to help you understand the situation.

6. cataphraz

cataphraz Member

I've compiled Mookie's testing results in the spreadsheet, including those taken at the shelter (he came home to live with me November 11th). A description of the situation at hand will follow. I can’t seem to post it all in one post, so I’m going to try splitting it up into several posts.

7. cataphraz

cataphraz Member

I adopted Mookie (8 year old cat), from a shelter back in late November. He has had diabetes at least since May last year - his original owners gave him up because they couldn't deal with the care needed upon his diagnosis.

He was started on Lantus but they were not able to regulate his glucose levels well at the shelter - his medical records show that his glucose levels were all over the place and his dosing changed many times (see spreadsheet). Since having him, he has been close remission once. The shelter had me working with a sliding scale and I was never able to get a consistent dosing am/pm because his numbers varied so much (although under 12mmol/L).

8. cataphraz

cataphraz Member

For some reason I can't post the rest - it says there is content that isn't allowed but not sure what it is. I'm sending the description as a pdf file. Sorry for the multiple postings....

Thanks again for your help :)
    Amber

Attached Files:

beggargirl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.