Numbers rising after insulin shot.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by coldenburg, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coldenburg

coldenburg Member

I tested my cat at 11:22 PM and he was at 303 so I gave him 1 unit. Its now a little over three hours later and he is at 416. This doesn't make any sense to me. I have been doing this for awhile so I don't think I did the shot wrong. At 11 AM today he was at 370 and I gave him 1 unit and he went to 40 after four hours.

Should I give him another shot of insulin? I have no idea if overlapping is okay or not. He seems to peak at 5 hours.

2. Holly and Pablo

Holly and Pablo Member

I am no expert, but I will say this in case no one else pops in: DO NOT GIVE MORE INSULIN! If you truly had a 40 earlier, the high numbers you are seeing are the result of a rebound because of the low blood sugar.

I don't know the specifics of your case or the insulin you're using, but with that 40, you should decrease the dose of insulin. This might sound weird since you're having such high numbers right now, but if you increase insulin, you may very well have a hypo since you nearly did earlier.

Hang on for more detailed advice from more experienced members.

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with holly. NEVER give more insulin after giving the shot. Reason - you don't know oif you gave a fur shot and you don't know how much insulin got in when u gave the shot. By giving another before the 12 hour cycle you risk the possibility oif overdosing the cat and creating a hypo situation.

Regarding why the numbers are doing this woithout knowing history, seeing a ss and knowing what insulin u r using it is all conjecture.

But do not give another shot.

4. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

5. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

This sounds like rebound from too much insulin.

Some kitties only need a tiny amount.

My Tiggy gets 0.25 or 0.5 unit twice per day.

It is great that you are testing blood sugar at home -- this is very important.

It is possible that your kitty no longer needs insulin.

Especially if your kitty had a bad tooth or infection -- this can cause temporary or transient diabetes that lasts for a few weeks or months.

When on the right diet (low carb canned or raw food), some diabetic kitties become "Diet Controlled" and do not need insulin.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

could you make a spread sheet, or at least give us his #'s over the past week or so. are you testing before each shot. which insulin are you using.
    present it to us like this if you are testing before shooting.

amps 270 1u
    +3 120
    +6 60
    pmps 230 1u

is that self explanatory? the am shot # with your dose, than 3 hours later then 6 hours later then evening # and dose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.