NV Pride alternative

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by John R, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John R

John R New Member

I just heard that NV is discontinuing the Pride by Instinct label in favor of their Instinct Cup recipes. Has anyone else heard the same thing? The problem is that my boy has severe bowel flare ups from chicken and seafood and is only stable on novel proteins. The Instinct Cups are only offering Rabbit and it's not his favorite. He loves their Diva's Duck (I rinse out the gravy and it keeps his BG numbers low) but that's under the Pride label and going away, from what I understand. I can't find it anywhere near me right now and Amazon is out of stock.

If you're dealing with this, too, what are you introducing as a replacement for low carb, novel protein that your cat won't turn its nose up at?

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Primal and Vital Essentials both have duck in frozen or freeze-dried raw. Vital Essentials sells their freeze dried in nibs which are hard little pellets (my cats hated them), or in mini-patties that you re-hydrate (my cats both love those). They only sell their mini-patties marketed for dogs, but the company assures me it's exactly the same recipe that they used to sell for cats.

In canned food there is also Natural Balance LID that has a duck and pea recipe. It's 11% carbs, so a little on the high side.

Hopefully some other folks will chime in with their recommendations for you. Good luck!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  3. John R

John R New Member

Thanks Djamila. I've fed him the VE freeze dried duck and he likes it. My recollection, however, is that it's very high in carbs (around 20% by my calcs) which is why I stopped. Granted, the NV Pride is high as well, but, like I said, I rinse out all the gravy to keep the count down. I'll look again at VE and will check out Primal as well - I just need to do some match to confirm that's why I stopped feeding it.

If he could eat more of the Blue Buffalo, that would really help but it has turkey broth and chicken liver so can mess with his gut. Plus, he only eat a bit of it at a time - not really his preference.

And he'll have nothing to do with the Natural Balance LID recipes. He's a real primadonna!

4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that doing the calculations yourself is quite often inaccurate since the info on the packages is in max/min and not exact values. I would suggest contacting the company and asking them. I haven't asked about duck since my guys won't eat it, but when I've written to both Primal and VE to ask values of other proteins they've been quite helpful.

5. John R

John R New Member

Good point! I've done that in the past and didn't think to with VE. I'll email them for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.