Obi, diagnosed with diabetic & kidney disease

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Siggi H, Jul 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siggi H

Siggi H Member

Dear All, so grateful to have found this website and forum. Obi, who will be 6 years old in Sep, was diagnosed with diabetes and kidney disease.....it's been a roller coaster month and we are desperate for help! It was decided to focus on his Glucose, hence start him on Insulin and be able to then focus on his kidneys.
    To balance his diet needs and getting the glucose level better has been a challenge...we are on week 2 and nowhere close.
    Wanted to leave a little intro here and thought to move my questions (so many... ) over to the forum!
    Siggi & Obi

Attached Files:

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Siggi and Obi. Please do post on the Main Health forum HERE and tell us more about this last month since diagnosis, and what treatment you have been following.
    Many of our sugar kitties have diabetes and different stages of kidney disease, and we will help all we can with recommendations to treat both conditions.

If you would, please set up a signature that details Obi's pertinent information and will be attached to each of your posts:
    Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the country/time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

If you care to, you can add more information/history by clicking on Personal Details in that same drop down menu you use for setting up the signature. This is called a Profile and there is more space to provide more info.

Looking forward to getting to know you and Obi better. :cat:

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

4. Siggi H

Siggi H Member

Hello Idjit's mom,
    Thank you so much for the warm welcome!
    I have just finished setting up the Signature and a little bit more about us ;-)
    Might need to update it a bit better, as I'm looking at yours and FurBabiesMama signature. We are learning ..
    Looking forward to meeting all of you too!
    Thanks again!!

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I'm glad you have checked in again. Thank you for setting up the signature, and yes, you can edit it anytime you wish.

I did read the info in your profile, and understand the challenges of finding low carb food that will also help Obi's renal issues, but you are certainly doing your best. As far as the Humulin 70/30 insulin, I am not personally familiar with this insulin, and would very much like to get other more experienced members' input on this. What I am reading is that it's a combination of short and intermediate acting insulins. It will be interesting to see the trends and patterns of how this insulin is working for Obi.

Since you are home testing, would you please set up the spreadsheet we use here and enter all the data that you can, that you have so far. Then we can see the trends and patterns of how the insulin is working, how low it takes the BG between shots and when it starts rising again. We recommend testing blood sugar before each injection, then during the 12 hour cycle between shots, to determine how low the BG (blood glucose) is going. One day test at the 3rd and 6th hour after the morning injection, then another day, test at the 5th and 8th hour after morning injection, etc. This fills in the puzzle pieces on the grid and we can get the whole picture. Everybody needs sleep, and it's more difficult to get nighttime tests, so please try to get at least a before bed test.

SPREADSHEET INSTRUCTIONS

UNDERSTANDING THE SPREADSHEET GRID

You say it's been a roller coaster, and that indicates to me that Obi's BG is high then low, then high again, is that correct? So, having the insulin and testing data in front of us is going to help see when that happens. It may be that Obi can be on a different insulin, and we might need to explore what insulin types are available to you in Kenya. Hopefully your vet will be on board if an insulin change would work better.

So, Siggy, me dear, please set up the spreadsheet, get it linked to the signature (if you need help, holler, we have people that can help or set it up for you), then post in the Main Health forum HERE.
    This Intro forum is just to say "Hi, here I am, what's next?" More members monitor the Main Health forum to be of assistance, and we want you to get the help you are looking for sooner rather than later.

6. Siggi H

Siggi H Member

Thank you so much for this!! Will study the spreadsheet instructions and fill in the best I can asap! Let you know once I'm done or if I need help!
    Yes, his readings are up and down and just don't make sense.
    I just started a thread on the main forum, a bit unorganized, apologies for that, I will get better!! ;-)
    Just so glad I found you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.