obviously I reduced dose too much..

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA), Nov 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

quick catch up. for last 3+ months Shaak has remained in the 400's, I have not updated her SS since the beginning of August because nothing ever changes. Every shot I gave her appeared to seep back out of her body, I know once or twice in a while I might make a fur shot but definitely not every time. While I don't know the cause I do know it meant every shot I gave her was not getting in, or else some how seeping back out. Part of this might be because she has lost so much weight, she is down to 5.5 lbs. I am sure she has to be hyperthyroid but I could not afford to get her tested again. I almost had the vet convinced to give her the medication for overactive thyroid anyway. She decided we should go on up to 4.5 Units of insulin and see where that got us. Well, first two shots after this vet visit again did not go in. So I called the vet and she told me to inject and while keeping plunger in to squeeze her skin shut around needle. Now while I must say this really ticked Shaak off and she tried to bite me, however, it worked and the insulin went in. She managed to drop all the way to 84 this afternoon and her PMPS was only 199. So since it has been so long since she got that low I chickened out and only gave her 1.5 u for her evening shot because there was no way I could stay up all night tonight to keep checking her BG tonight as my health just won't allow it. as a result her +3 was 284. Not even sure the insulin went in again this time, such a small amount made it hard to tell. I am just curious being as it has been so long since she has been in lower numbers any thoughts on what I should have given her for her PM shot. Please note like I said I have not posted her numbers in three months because all they ever were was the 400's and the occasional 300. I knew there was a problem but couldn't afford another vet visit so I just muddled through. I would have asked a friend to come over and see what might have been going wrong with my technique but my stress anxiety level is so high anymore my home smells of cat urine because Shaak long ago quit peeing in the litter box and I gave up on trying to clean it since every puddle was about half a cup of liquid. also my bedroom is such a disaster, we have boxes and clothes everywhere because we were in process of selling off tv and some other things and I have lost dresser and entertainment unit to store clothes and things. I just couldn't face letting someone see the condition of my home. My anxiety and depression has been such I have ignored most all social media due to not being able to face talking to people. I know you are my friends and finally I managed to squeak enough money together for a vet visit so I felt I could face you and get your opinion. Please be gently with your replies as I am emotionally fragile these days, much more so than ever before.

2. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

SS blank from august till the 16th of November. Posting again since yesterday

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you were able to figure out a solution to help her numbers go down. I'm glad you have a plan for moving forward with the shots .

I'm so sorry you are suffering with depression. I'm glad you didn't let it get in they way of trying to help your cat.... I understand it's so so hard.
    Please reach out for help... And make a plan to get your environment into a healthy condition. You can't let it continue to let it degrade around you, it will just pull you down further like quicksand. Start with one room at a time... Perhaps the kitchen. The only way to clean cat urine is with a biologic product ment to do so. (My favorite is Anti Icky Poo Unscented which I get on amazon.... It can be purchased by the gallon.) if any carpets are effected remove them. If the cat is still going out of the box limit her to one room and provide puppy pads while you get the other rooms healthy.

Please reach out to family, friends, neighbors, or church groups of you can't manage the cleanup on your own.

4. JanetNJ

Were you selling the dressers to make extra money or are you moving? If you were just trying to make money but actually need the storage, look on Craig's list, Facebook marketplace, and freecycle to see if anyone is giving something away that could be useful to you. I bet if you even posted on a Facebook page for your area or on your wall saying you are looking for a free dresser, there's someone looking to get rid of one.

5. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

I was given all new stuff, that was why we sold the other stuff. All new stuff in boxes and can't do anything with it till after my son finishes this semester of school and finishes his seasonal job at toys R us. As for icky poo, already bought all the products to use in tandem and used it to no avail, Shaak still peeing everywhere. Until she is well no way to clean up floors or carpets, does no good. I live in an apartment, even if I had money to replace carpets, which I don't, (it took weeks just to scrimp and save for one vet appointment) the apartment will not replace flooring till my cat either gets well, or passes on or till I can find someone willing to take on burden of Shaak. Sadly, yes, I have been trying to find her a new home for a couple of months, someone that would love her like me but unlike me that doesn't have a special needs child, and an addict husband in and out of mental hospital and jail and a slowly turning senile roommate that forgets 90% of what he hears and doesn't see well enough to avoid puddles and poop and thinks the way to clean off his feet is to scrape his shoes all over the carpeta, also, someone that doesn't have the numerous physical and mental health problems I do. Basically, I live in a swirling drowning whirlpool that has far passed me being capable of getting my house in order. I hate that I even bothered to type all this because I had made up my mind I was not going to post any more of my issues online and just suffer in silence, was just hoping someone would have ideas on how much insulin it sounded good to reduce when Shaak goes into low numbers. That being said doesn't so much matter as her last two shots have not gone in.

Please forgive my attitude, I appreciate your thoughts and ideas but I have either already tried what you suggested or have so lost the will to survive the only reason I am still around is because I love my children and my cat and I keep praying for a miracle.

6. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Any thoughts on how to inject differently. I have tried scruff and flank and tried rolling skin back and pinching around needle. Twice out of the last six tries went in. I think the problem is that she is so skinny the needle pokes out through other side of skin. Do you think just a plain disposable razor would clear enough for away so that I could see better when injecting

7. JanetNJ

I have never tried to shave a spot, but if you have an electric razor that night be better. When you stick the needle in, you have your thumb off the plunger, right? You are only holding the sides. After the needle is inserted, THEN push the plunger.

8. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

yes, I have my thumb off the plunger. I have given well over 500 shots with never a problem until the last couple of months. I don't have an electric razor. Thank you though for the ideas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.