Odie newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Calkhoury, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calkhoury

Calkhoury New Member

Hi everyone. My kitty's name is OD she's a year old female . She was diagnosed with diabetes on Thursday. With complications of pancreatitis, she was hospitalized at an facility for a couple days. She wouldn't eat anything or drink anything. They put her on Lantus 2.0 twice a day under the condition she eats. Original sugars were 566...the lowest was 39 in the ER. $2,000 later and very little Improvement except for hydration I Took her home from the ER Sunday night. Because I could tell the care she was getting was more destructive than helpful. They had her on morphine which of course just increase the issues of her not eating. I'm giving her hemp oil full spectrum, no more morphine. She's now eating a little bit and doesn't have the dead eyes. only benefit she got there was the IV. My actual vet has been kind enough to let me take her in for liquids yesterday and today . But today they said her liquids were good so they didn't give her any she wasn't dehydrated. Yay for Odie. My situation is this. She will not eat wet food. I've tried at least 15 different types. Expensive, cheap, in the envelope with the gravies, Pates, chunks, and every variety fish chicken beef salmon tuna. I found the only thing that she will eat is freeze-dried chicken that's the only ingredient. I'm not sure what to do at this point. The vet wants to put her on a medication to get her to eat, (Mirtaxapine) but the side effects of this medication are not good for a cat with pancreatitis. I gave her 1 unit dose this morning of insulin, her glucose was at 346 at 455am. Now this evening her glucose is our down to 200 at 8pm and the notations for my doctor say no insulin at that level. Any and all advice could be greatly appreciated.

Odie and Bellas Mom

2. Calkhoury

Calkhoury New Member

Oh and we do believe that odie's diabetes was induced by two injections in one month of Prednisone for a skin condition that was severely infected. And the vet at that time put her on prescription food VD. The vet has instructed me that she should not eat the VD anymore cuz it will make her sugars all messed up.

3. Calkhoury

Calkhoury New Member

As you can see her current stress level is non-existent. I love this little girl. And I really appreciate any of responses that can help me continue to care for her.

Attached Files:

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The typical treatment for pancreatitis is daily sub q's (can be administered at home), bupe for pain, and cerenia for nausea. Ask for cerenia... It may help.

The recommended starting dose for lantus is 1 unit twice a day... Esp since she's not eating, I wouldn't give 2.

5. Calkhoury

Calkhoury New Member

Thank you! She is on the nausea meds...oops forgot to note that. A bit overwhelmed and scared. Any suggestions on a food that's not wet?

6. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Oh my, yes she looks just anxiety ridden, doesn't she? ;) I often see new folks sometimes forgetting that a newly diabetic baby is still your baby, and not just a "patient". Do try to remember that as you begin your journey. :bighug:

This is one food you could try: https://www.chewy.com/dr-elseys-cleanprotein-chicken/dp/146266. There is a salmon flavor too.

I don't have experience with pancreatitis so I don't know if it would be contraindicated, but cyproheptadine Is another appetite stimulant that I have started to rely on instead of mirtazapine-- it just seems to work better for my kitties.

Not shooting under 200 is good at the start until you get more data. I'd recommend you read the stickies here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/ to help with general questions.

If you have other specific questions, it would good to start a new post over in the Main Forum now that you've done your introduction: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/ and you can set up your signature to cover the questions that everyone will need to know:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

Welcome to you, Miss Odie and Miss Bella!

Best,
    Sandi & Whisper.

7. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

beggargirl likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Young Again Zero is the lowest carb dry. About 1% carb. You can get it on www.youngagainpetfood.com
    I give this as a treat or in between meal. They will send a generous free sample if you ask.

Epigen 90 by wysong is around 5-6 carb. I buy this for my civies.... I order it through chewy. If you go to wysong's site and write to them they will send free samples. Actually they sent me a sample of like a dozen of their various foods. Lol

Dr elsley's clean protein chicken flavor is also around 5-6 carb and you can get it on chewy. If you go to the manufacturer website they will send a free sample if you ask.

9. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome!

10. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

I don't think that I see a new post from you, and I know the first week can be tough. I just wanted to see how you and Miss Odie are doing. Well, I hope.

Best,
    Sandi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.