Off insulin - how often to test?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chicklit, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chicklit

Chicklit New Member

Hello all,

If your cat is diet controlled or otherwise off the juice, how often do you do test his BG? My diabetic has been off insulin for almost a month now and the combination of the low carb food (Fancy Feast) and a reduction in his budesonide dose, seems to be keeping his numbers low. I'd like to give his ears a break after the last month, but I also want to make sure the numbers don't creep back up on us again. What's your advice for how frequently to test? Continue with twice daily checks? Spot check daily? Weekly? Just when he doesn't seem to be feeling well?

Thanks!

2. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

For a kitty OTJ within the last 30 days, I would test BID. As the weeks go by, you gradually space them out to once a day, then every other day, then twice a week, etc., until you are testing about once a week UNLESS you see them behaving "off". Stormy Blue has been OTJ for 13 months now and I still test him at least once a day - usually right before I give him his subQ fluids. He is calm and relaxed at that time because he knows he is going to get his treats and his brushing. A perfect time to test him as he is snuggled up between my knees on my bed.

~M

3. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I think it would really depend on the kitty. If you kitty is consistanty giving you really low numbers then I've seen many people tapper of more quickly. A few in the Honeymooner's Forum went to testing once a week or once a month right away. If your kitty frequently gives you borderline numbers then I would be inclined to maintain testing more frequently for a longer time.

I had intended on going to once a week right away, and tapering to once a month within a month. But Smokey didn't adjust to not being tested, she'd not go to the food but sat in her test spot waiting giving me a funny look until I tested her. Then we have had some unusual travel and feeding circumstances that could have caused problems.

Since you are still on a med that sounds like it could cause some issues, I probably wouldn't go to once a month right away, but if the ears are tender, I see no reason to keep testing multiple times a day if the numbers are not even approaching a problem area.

eta: just peeked at your ss and your pattern looks logical to me. You continued to test multiple times a day whill getting those higher blue numbers, tappering off now when you are seeing green.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.