Off The Juice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by artnerdjenben, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artnerdjenben

artnerdjenben New Member

Hello,
    I posted to the other site but now I can log in here. Great new look by the way!

Its been a crazy few weeks. Boozer at the beginning of December had a curve at the vet that showed high 400s BG readings. She wanted to increase his Humlin N to 2 Units B.I.D. however, after reading this site and everyones encouragement and getting my kit I kept with the 1 Unit BID. I kept testing him daily with my husband and I was receiving readings in the low 100s and even in the 60s. I thought that I wasn't getting enough blood or I was doing something wrong. He was eager to eat and still playing so I kept giving him his shots.

A few nights ago I got a reading of 36 at 4+. I called and took him to the vet the next day for a fructosamine (spelling) test. I also took my NEW reader. We compared our meters and sure enough he was in the 60s, my reader was about 25 points off of the vets. I was a scary point thinking that I could loose him but gave him food, again he was eager to eat and our vet beleived that he should be OTJ. I have been home with him all week and he never displayed any signs of a low BS level.

Knowing that I was testing his sugar correctly I now am testing it 2X a day and he has been without his shots for a few days.

Without all of your help I would have never been able to make it through this crazy stage in our lives. I thank each and every one of you for the care and encouragement that you all provided to us. This site is truly a blessing to me and I can never repay the kindness that you all have shared. Thank you, Thank you so very much for everything.!!!!

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Excellent. Congratulations!!

[​IMG]

3. Michele and Peeps

Michele and Peeps Member

Congratulations!! Isn't home testing the best thing?

Keep testing throughout the days until you are comfortable that his numbers are staying in a comfortable range. If you want to, as time passes, you can scale back the frequency of testing. I test about once a month just to see what is going on with Peeps, as she's been off insulin for 14 months now. If you also think something is strange, go ahead and test.

Congrats again to you and Boozer!

4. Heather & Seasaidh (GA)

Heather & Seasaidh (GA) Member

That is awesome!! I'm so happy for you and Boozer. My first cat, Shess, was able to get off insulin after about five months (he loved kitty crack...it was hard to get him to eat low carb canned food). I recently adopted Bumperic who had been a stray. I don't know how long he has been diabetic but I was beginning to think it would be impossible to ever hope of getting him off insulin. Last night however he threw me for a loop with a PMPS of 142! I'm so glad I learned how to test (thanks to these wonderful people here) and learned about nutrition.

I hope that Boozer enjoys a long time off the juice. Good luck and congratulations!!!

Heather, Seasaidh (GA), & Bumperic

5. VictorsMom (GA)

VictorsMom (GA) New Member

Nice job - Congratulations!

6. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't think it's official to do the happy dance until he's been OTJ for 2 weeks.

For the first 2 weeks Harley was off I still tested him twice a day. Than went to once a day, then once a week, etc. Now I only test him once a month or if something seems off.

His December bg was 61.

Congratulations, you did a great job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.