Off Topic - catnip & my kitties

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by julie & punkin (ga), Jun 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

This morning the kitties had the first leaves off of our catnip plant. If you haven't grown one before, they are very easy and most cats love it. Catnip leaves can be sprinkled on cat food if a cat needs a little appy encouragement.

Most of you haven't met my cats yet - so I thought i'd share this video of them. Here's Anya (looks Norwegian Forest Cat-ish), McGee (tuxedo boy) and Frodo (orange boy). Anya is about 5 now and was very bonded with punkin. She'd rather have nothing to do with the kittens, although she tolerates McGee somewhat. You'll notice Frodo stays away from Anya. He's been wooing her, but she won't have anything to do with him and keeps whacking & biting him if he gets close. We got McGee and Frodo last August, and they are about 15 months old now. The action is a little slow (LOL, an understatement) and only a cat-lover would enjoy the video, but we have some cat-lovers here!

[youtube]XcZOlCqu8gg&feature[/youtube]

2. Tina & Rocky

Tina & Rocky Well-Known Member

Those are some HUGE green leaves of catnip!

YOWZAAAH! :shock:​

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:​

It actually looks like the orange and tuxedo cat get along Ok or they wouldn't be sitting next to each other, IMO. ;-)

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I can't see the video from work :( I'll have to check it out when I get home :)

4. julie & punkin (ga)

the orange and tux kitties were adopted at the same time, both at 5 months old. they get along great.

It's the long-haired kitty, Anya, who is cranky about Frodo (the orange one.) She's like the royalty in the house and when she comes in the room, Frodo rushes at her and tries to rub against her and love her up. she tolerates it about 2 seconds then whacks and bites him. he drives her crazy and she'd like him to go away! :lol:

Anya adored punkin and they were quite the cute couple - i think Frodo is the gawky annoying adolescent boy to her.

5. Deanna & Billie

Deanna & Billie Well-Known Member

Catnip party!!!! That looks like a lot of fun :D

6. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

I love this! Reminds me of my college days.

Oh, and Miss Polly wants to know if McGee is "single." You know she has a thing for those dapper tuxie fellows. I tried to explain that he was a tad young for a mature girl-cat but she put me in my place by telling me being a "cougar" was in her far-back genetics so age was irrelevant.

7. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Shelly & Jersey (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm jealous! Our catnip plant drowned in all the rain this year. The year before, we tried to plant it in a planter. Jersey, as you know, is quite a plotter, and she led the gang in somehow removing the protective cage from the planter. Cats: 1, Plant: 0. ohmygod_smile :lol:

You have a bunch of cuties on your hands. Thanks for sharing!
    Shelly

8. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi julie :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

I love the video. I used to grow it too. Well tried to anyways - we had a kitty, Chattie, who just LOVED the stuff, and would pull the plant out of the ground or pot or whatever and devour/destroy the whole thing. He was not big on sharing. I'd give out samples to the others and he'd some and steal theirs away. OMG, others rarely had a chance, :lol: :lol: I will have to admit it was fun to grow it. The cats were in nip heaven.

9. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Wow, good thing catnip is legal in your state. ;-) Those are some awesome huge plants! We LOVE seeing Anya and how she is doing since the passing of her beloved punkin.

Liz planted some catnip in her garden this year, and so far, it's still there. :lol:

Anne

10. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

Julie!
    All you kitties are beautiful!! :D
    Special scritches to Anya who misses Punkin. cat_pet_icon

11. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

Now that's a smile-maker - thanks for posting this Julie, I needed a smile today and I got it watching your very happy kitties!! :smile: I tried to grow catnip for awhile, but unfortunately all the outdoor neighborhood cats would smush it all up before my own kitties could enjoy it inside.

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Loved the video. And my kitties thank you for reminding them that they'd like some too. :D I grow mine in a hanging planter where they can't get at it, or Neko would ravage it down to the roots as well. What on earth do you do to make that plant grow such large leaves? :eek:

Scritches to all the gang. Thanks for giving us a look at the new ones. Frodo is quite the handsome boy Miss Anya, please give him a chance.

We are kind of partial to tuxies here too.

13. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

Suzanne & Cobb(GA) Well-Known Member

Absolutely adorable!!!

14. Laura&Chichi (GA)

Laura&Chichi (GA) Well-Known Member

Bootiful kitties!! I need to get some of that catnip for my 3 kitties. Anya looks alot like one of my babies. I watched a couple of your other videos of punkin after that one..omg how adorable!!! such a big fluffy kitteh! was punkin a big talker? He seemed so intelligent too!

15. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Julie,
    What a great video! They sure are going at that 'nip!! I grow catnip for Rusty, but he isn't interested at all, and he won't go to the catmint plants in the garden, either. Those catmint plants were Stu's favorites. He would lie between 2 of the big clumps and roll on them. McGee reminds me of him. Frodo is very handsome. And it is great to see pics of Anya again.

Have a great evening with your gang,

Ella & Rusty

16. Josie & Ripley (GA)

Josie & Ripley (GA) Well-Known Member

Awww! So sweet, Julie!
    Your furkiddos are cutie-pies!

17. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Such cute kitties. It's good to see Anya is doing well. Thanks for sharing.

18. Tininha & Juno

Tininha & Juno Member

I absolutely loved the video and your kitties are so beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Juno and my non-diabetic cat Zack have a similar relationship as Anya and Frodo, and again it's the girl who bites the boy (females are terrible :twisted:), but here the boy is the King of the house :D.

19. julie & punkin (ga)

It grows about 2 ft tall - in past years we've had it in our garden and took punkin on walks there, but this year it's in a pot on the deck. The tag says it's "Nepeta Cataria" but maybe all catnip is that. I don't know.

Yes, Punkin was definitely a talker - except he was silent outside or when we were at the vet's. If you want to see videos of him, you can look at the catnip one and then see what else i've put on youtube. there might be a couple (or 25) of punkin. ;-) :D

Attached Files:

20. Jen&Eddie

Jen&Eddie Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for sharing Julie!

What an adorable video! Lucky kitties getting fresh massive catnip leaves. I love it when McGee takes a wad of leaves and rubs them all over his face. :D

21. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

So cute!! You've inspired me to grow some catnip!! I have grown cat grass before but never catnip.

22. Tina & Rocky

Tina & Rocky Well-Known Member

That is one massive Cataria plant. Personally, besides your obvious green thumb, I think it's leaves grow so huge from all of that Oregon mountain water. There's other plants that they grow up there, I think that they're illegal(?) :roll: , that get pretty huge too. :lol:

23. lovey11

lovey11 Well-Known Member

Julie, your cats are sooo cute. Wow, nice catnip plant. The cats are having a great time with it. Did you grow it from a seed or small plant?

24. ChEMom

ChEMom Member

Beautiful kitties Julie! Thanks for the post. :D

25. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Love the video. Poor Frodo. They have really grown!

26. caringcdn

caringcdn Member

Hi Julie,

I loved the videos, including the one with Punkin, outside with the catnip plant. All your cats are absolutely gorgeous - it looks like Punkin was a very gentle soul, you must miss him very much. You've inspired me to grow catnip which until yesterday I didn't know that we could. Like many others, we've grown cat grass but never catnip. Pixie absolutely goes nuts for the stuff. Thanks for sharing, Julie!

Anne

27. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Very beautiful kitties, Julie!!! Where can I get a plant like that...? I buy the dried flake stuff, but Blackie doesn't care for it much. There are 2 that like it, but even the civvie, Aurora, doesn't seem to care for it, either.

28. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

very cute video! Looks like some VERY happy kitties, :lol: thanks for sharing!

29. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Linda and Scooter & Jack Well-Known Member

WOW what beautiful kitties!

We could add some 60's music to the video! :D

I agree that those are some big leaves! You plant must be huge! Alas mine gets eaten by the neighbor kitties each year but I still grow it.

30. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

They are soooo cute! Thanks for sharing, Julie. I had seen the one with Punkin in the yard before. He was such a handsome cat. I may just have to look into getting a plant, too.

Anya looks a lot like my Siberian, Minka. I know the two breeds are somewhat related.

Have a great night!

31. julie & punkin (ga)

Catherine & Angela - we bought it as a 4" pot from our local plant nursery. DH put it into a 12" pot and it took off. We always add some fertilizer in the root zone when we plant. I usually use the timed release fertilizer that lasts for a few months, but i'm sure any would work. Our deck is high up - about 13' off the ground - so not too many critters show up on the deck. the deer stay below - i'm not sure they would eat catnip anyway, they are too busy eating my roses. :roll:

The plant is about knee-high on me right now, but it will get taller.

yes, tina, Oregon . . . *sigh* . . . . :lol: It's a hippy enclave around here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.