officially off dry food day 2

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RobbiesMom, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

As many of you know we've been slowly reducing Robbie's dry food intake and switching what he did get over to Royal Canin script food for diabetic cats. Well, I got to the point where I just gave him about 20-25 nuggets ONCE a day - than yesterday I gave him NONE all day. Look at his numbers. Spoke to the vet yesterday who agreed as long as there's no change in his litter box routine (last time we pulled him off dry and onto high protein he was constipated off and on for months) keep him OFF the dry (something he's been suggesting to us for years but every food change brought other issues). This has been about a 9 week process switching him over to all wet mixed FF with Royal Canin diabetic. He still gets metimucil in one meal a day and he gets more snacks than he used to (some chicken etc. plus small servings of the wet inbetween "meals") and I think he's doing GREAT!
    amps 157 - NO SHOT...

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

This is great. Those numbers will hopefully continue to come down on thier own.

3. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

Looks like the food switch is making a difference. Maybe you can get more testing done over the weekend. Robbie might be like Calliope who ultimately needed some microdoses for a bit to get everything going again. I add water to the wet food each feeding. Just a bit.

4. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

came home and tested earlier than normal (closer to him just finishing dinner) more like +10.5 than +12 and he's 110. I gave him a second small helping of the wet and when I heard him in the closet with his sister eating her dry I walked slowly to stop him instead of yelling NO and walking quickly - so he got a few bites in - we'll see. I can't test again till about 10pm tonight as I have to do something for work. Without insulin I really don't have to worry about him going too low do I?

5. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

That's right Ellen. He's been long enough without exogenous insulin that low numbers do not require hypo treatment.

Big time congrats on the complete switch over to wet food and the result!!!

6. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

If you have issues with constipation on the wet, not sure why that would happen, you can add water to his wet food and also use a bit of miralax to soften the stool. I add Lax a Day to Oliver's foods when he seems sluggish, plus more water to the foods. It takes water from the body so you need to add more water to the food, but it sure works well.

I have one civvie who eats only dry and is unswitchable. When I go out, I cover her dry food with a big bowl. I used to feel bad that I was taking her food away, but then I realized ... if she was really hungry, she could help herself to the wet foods from the others! There are many days I am away from amps to pmps, and she tears over to her bowl when I get home to uncover her dry food. Too bad; she can eat wet if she likes but she chooses not to.

It's great too see how a switch off the dry makes such a healthy difference.

7. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

It's got more to do with the switch of food - he also reacted badly to just switching from FF to EVO even though we did it over 3 weeks. It's the change I think - plus the dry food was half hairball so it was very high in fiber. We're good with the metemucil and the wet and the laxtulose once in a while.

8. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

no insulin, a bit of dry food and a big, wet dinner - +3 103.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.