Officially OTJ!!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Athenaglaukopis, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Athenaglaukopis

Athenaglaukopis Member

As of yesterday’s visit to the vet fluffy is officially of the juice, with GB checks for a while here and there to see how she goes. At the vet and due to stress yesterday at PSPM she was 221, and based on her numbers we foresaw that is is a stress sugar kitty and would be into hypo next morning, so I left some more food out than normal, and this AMPS she was at 61. Today I’m just keeping an eye on her and giving her some of her forbidden treats here and there. She is in a broad spectrum antibiotic due to a tooth issue and as soon as the antibiotic is gone, we are going to get those teeth out :)
    I’ve never been so happy to be hit with a giant vet bill like I was yesterday.lol. And honestly, work had put me on nightmarish positions when she was on hypo yet I still had to show up ( I live 40 mins away from work, so. Cheking her out on my down time was a race). Thank you everyone for the amazing resource you guys are and the peace of mind you brought to me and you bring to each other. Certainly I hope not to have to post here again, but I owe you my mental sanity to all of you! @MrWorfMen's Mom , thank you for your invaluable help!❤️

MrWorfMen's Mom and JanetNJ like this.
  2. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

So very happy for you!! Wishing you and Mr W a lifetime of no juice!!!xoxo

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm delighted to hear Fluffy's BG has been so good although looking at her spreadsheet, her numbers are still a tiny bit higher at times than ideal.
    Try to keep those "forbidden" treats out of the picture. Try something more appropriate for a diabetic cat like freeze dried meat treats. Also keep Fluffy on a low carb wet diet.
    We don't consider kitties in remission here until they have held normal BG levels without insulin for a period of 14 consecutive days. It would be wise to check Fluffy every day morning and night to make sure her BG is remaining within normal limits. She will always be diabetic so even after the 14 days, keep checking her weekly for awhile and no less than monthly thereafter. Catching a rising BG pattern early can help you get it under control easier and is often your first clue that there is an infection or something else going on.

Just a note......Fluffy is not going to go hypo when you have NOT given insulin. :)
    Hopefully getting the dental issues looked after once and for all will help keep Fluffy's BG within normal range. :D

FurBabiesMama and Djamila like this.
  4. Athenaglaukopis

Athenaglaukopis Member

thank you so much and yes, planning on keeping her on the wet diet low carb high protein for ever. I use some of the frisks treats when she gets really low, this time I only gave her about 5 and her normal meal. wait... dumb question, if a cat is NOT on insulin and her numbers are really low, like 31 or this morning 57 (or so), does that mean is not a hypo crisis? should I give her some carb food or I should just feed her fancy feast pate and she'll be ok? this is definitely something that I don't know and any insight will be awesome!
    I will def check her for the 14 days and then weekly! :) im making my little calendar. thank you again :)

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

No such thing as a dumb question around here! You have not given insulin for several days so there is no threat of hypo whatsoever and you don't need to do anything. If Fluffy is hungry it's OK to give her some low carb food but she doesn't need any high carb treats or higher carb food. She is in no danger at all and will regulate herself.

It's quite normal for non-diabetic cats to run lower than the 68 that we consider as a warning level when using insulin. When a cat is on insulin, we allow a bit of a cushion to ensure BG is dealt with before it becomes a hypo situation. While that 31 reading on the meter the other day is an anomaly that will remain a mystery, 57 is nothing to be concerned about. :joyful:

Athenaglaukopis likes this.