Oh Joy! Not a fun subject, poop questions.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bear & Lora, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Bear & Lora

Bear & Lora Well-Known Member

So I have noticed quite a few threads that have had kitties with constipation problems. Some that have even had to stay at the Vet to evacuate their bowels.

Bear when transitioned to wet had loose stools but improved to solid.

After reading some threads entailing constipation I thought about the fact that Bear's stools have slowed down in frequency.

I checked his latest deposit and it was extremely hard even if the cat litter absorbed some of the moisture it is still too hard.

I need some recommendations. I saw SEB on a thread but I don't have a clue what that stands for.

Yeah, it is the weekend... Is there anything over the counter I can buy?

I will call his Vet Monday. Anything I can ask her to prescribe that works well from other's experience?

2. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Slippery Elm Bark.

It is good for issues related to the GI track. Nausea, diahrea, constipation, mouth ulcers. Because it coats the lining (of the track) it shouldn't be given within two hours of oral meds (before or after) because it inhibits absorption of the medicine.

Here is all you need to know about it and the dosing.
    https://www.felinecrf.org/holistic_treatments.htm#slippery_elm_bark

Will Bear eat his wet food with added water? If so, start adding extra water. Miralax can be used for constipation also but it will pull water from the body to the bowels which will help with the constipation but further dehydrate which is likely why he is constipated. There are other options (pumpkin puree, etc). If you use Miralax start slow and small doses or you might end up with the opposite problem :p

Here is info on constipation and some treatment options
    https://www.felinecrf.org/constipation.htm

ETA-poo discussion are often very hilarious condos here. :joyful::rolleyes:

3. Bear & Lora

Yes, Bear likes to lick his food and leave the chunks so I add water and puree his food with a spoon majority of the time. :)

Thanks for the great info and links!

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  4. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

I've used miralax with Rhubarb. I started with 1/8 tsp bid, and when there was a worse bout of it, vet said I could give 1/4tsp bid.
    It has no taste, so she doesn't even notice it.

5. Bear & Lora

Okay, you had me confused for a moment, (Miralax with Rhubarb).
    First thought: if I could find Rhubarb how would I add it, maybe grated.
    Second thought: I wonder what kind of healing properties Rhubarb has.

Then my common sense finally kicked in. Possibly Rhubarb is a cat's name. Lol.

Did you use a syringe to administer the Miralax?

6. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Just add it to his food (mixed with water). I fed @ PS, +2.5 and +4.5. I would add a tiny bit to each feeding. Then skip a cycle to judge the results. Miralax is tasteless and dissolves completely. He won't even notice it.

Bear & Lora and majandra like this.
  7. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

What she said!

Bear & Lora likes this.
  8. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

9. Bear & Lora

10. Bear & Lora

Thank you @LizzieInTexas and @majandra .
    Lizzie, I have a ton of relatives in Texas. LOL.
    Heck we might even be kin. :)

11. Bear & Lora

12. Hogan

Hogan Member

I thought the same thing, "Hmmm, miralax and rhubarb, must be similar to adding pumpkin!" I also wondered what SEB was, so I'm glad you asked!

My only suggestion would be, if you don't already and if it's feasible, track how often he goes, so you can intervene before it gets too uncomfortable. When I switched from HC food to LC food, Hogan definitely slowed way down in the poop department, to once every two or three days. Also, going to higher protein and less carbs impacts things as well.

Sometimes I think to myself, did I ever envision the day I would be keeping a log of my cat's defecations? And discussing them in great detail on the internet? o_O

13. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Lactulose works for Bronx, but I think the D-Mannose I recently added to his diet is really helping his output.

Bear & Lora likes this.
  14. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

He might need a little bit of "fiber" to help push things through his system. The wet food may not have enough fiber in it for him. Just like people, some cats need more and some less. You may want to try some pure pumpkin puree as well to see if that helps. It will have fiber and moisture.

Bear & Lora likes this.
  15. Moms2Tigger&Blu

Moms2Tigger&Blu Member

Tigger has been on miralax for about 2 years. He would get so constipated he would vomit if he tried to poop. He gets 1/4 tsp at every dinner and an additional 1/8 tsp at breakfast if his LB habits seem off for a day or 2. took awhile to find the balance between not enough poop and too MUCH poop LOL

16. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Have had to give my cat 1/8 teaspoon am and 1/8 teaspoon pm Miralax since she started on the all wet diet ( I am guessing because no longer getting fiber from dry), even adding extra water to food was not working alone or adding 1teaspoon pumpkin 2 x a day without Miralax did not seem to help. She is now doing much better on twice daily low dose of Miralax in addition to adding extra water to her pate. Planning to try the pumpkin again, but don’t want to overload her on that either as it has some carbs and high doses of vitamin A, not sure how much of that cats can safely have. May try adding back pumpkin once a day and Miralax once a day.

Lactulose is fine for normal cat, but not recommended for diabetics, it contains sugar, also requires a prescription from vet (at least it did 10 years ago in the US).

17. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm really not that experienced, but just wanted to say that Willow also has issues with constipation; I started with 1/8 tsp clearlax (Miralax) once daily, but have had to increase to 1/8 tsp four times daily (at 8 and 9, am and pm) along with pumpkin 1/2 tsp twice daily; this schedule seems to work well with her for now. It's really a bit of an experiment to find what works for *your* cat. I also recommend the www.felineconstipation.org site. Oh, also I add water to all her meals.

Also, I keep notes (yeah, sigh) as in a poop log, with regards to approx inches and thickness (and yes, that looks as bad written as I thought it would.) It helps me see when a bunging episode might be starting, so I can start adjusting any miralax/pumpkin amounts earlier; also it helps me to link it with her blood sugar (rises a bit when she's getting constipated, so I hold off any insulin dose changes).

With love, Nikki

Hogan likes this.
  18. Rebecca.garfie

Rebecca.garfie Member

I use restoralax garfie gets 1/8 tsp twice a day am and pm he's good on it I just mix it with his food with added water