Oh No! Too much karo syrup

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA), Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA)

Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA) Well-Known Member

Jake is 19 years old has been diabetic for over 7 years. We have been on this list for a couple of years but couldn't log in so maybe our account was deleted. He has a long history of different insulins that we've tried. Right now he is on Lantus and eats a primarily wet food diet.

Anyway, I will give you a brief account of his condition right now. He had been on Lantus 2 units/2x per day since about November. His readings were usually around 200 or so. Two weeks ago he had a hypoglycemic episode. His glucose was 65 and he was having a neurologic episode (pacing and confusion). I gave him karo syrup and he recovered. I dropped him down to 1 unit once per day and tested him. For about a week, he was around 300-350 but I was having problems with getting blood from him and with my glucometer (brand new but couldn't get enough blood or it was defective). So even though I knew he was high, I was afraid to increase his dose. I bought another new glucometer (Freestyle Freedom Elite, which I love because it takes a very small amount of blood and I can add blood for up to one minute). This glucometer is working very well. Yesterday his readings were 7:45pm: 403; 11:06 pm : 263; Today 6:40 am: 265. When I got home from work at 6:00, I decided to check his glucose before his meal and shot. It was 42. I freaked out and gave him 9 ml of karo syrup plus some food in a syringe because he was not eating. Then I was glancing through the booklet for the new glucometer and realized that I should repeat the test for readings that low. So I did and it came in at 446. Now I'm beside myself with worry that I gave him too much karo syrup and his glucose level is probably skyrocketing. I gave him one unit of Lantus but he is not acting like himself. He is not eating and spending a lot of time sleeping. I plan to recheck him in an hour or so but I don't know what else to do.

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

i'd test again, since the numbers are so varied.

then, i'd take a deep breath and get some sleep and start fresh tomorrow.

too high is not as dangerous as too low so it is what it is and you will be back on track tomorrow.

fwiw though, next time you get a number like that so far out from the last shot or he's not showing physical symptoms of hypo'ing, you can just try feeding him some of his regular food. karo can be used when there are symptoms of hypo'ing and/or he's too low too early in the cycle

3. Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA)

Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA) Well-Known Member

I checked him at 11:00 pm and he is at 408. I will check again in the morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.