Oil diffuser?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Adam Flowers, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Flowers

Adam Flowers Member

I got an oil diffuser for Christmas. I turned it on this morning and put a couple drops of eucalyptus oil in it.

Within an hour or so, Mogee was acting very strange. He was pacing and would not stop meowing. Usually this occurs when he is low so I tested to make sure he was fine, which he was.

About an hour later he started to throw up. It was mostly food he had just ate, not so much stomach fluids.

I am wondering if it has anything to do with the oil diffuser and the essential oils?

I have found some reputable sources online that say essential oils could be toxic to cats?

Anyone had any experience with or have any knowledge on this matter? Appreciate it. Hope you all had a Merry Christmas!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

3. Adam Flowers

Adam Flowers Member

4. Adam Flowers

Adam Flowers Member

I'm sure Mogee will be just fine though now that it is off.

Went in to check on him and he looked at me all strange like, "Dad, I'm cleaning myself, leave me alone!"

Just glad I found this out sooner rather than later.

Attached Files:

5. FurBabiesMama

6. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I have a diffuser and it hasn't bothered any of my cats. Of course, every cat is different and some cats are more sensitive to some fragrances. I'm sorry you can't enjoy the diffuser. I really love mine.

7. Adam Flowers

Adam Flowers Member

I know. It smelled so good too. Was making my place smell amazing!

8. FurBabiesMama

Please be careful though. Excerpt from the last link I posted:
    "Cats are unable to properly metabolize essential oils and over time the toxins build up and can damage the liver. Cats in toxic overload may exhibit symptoms such as dizziness, lack of appetite, vomiting, lack of balance, lethargy, and extreme cases of toxicity may lead to death.

While many of us know not to apply essential oils directly – either via mouth or by spraying or rubbing the oils on our cats – it is important to realize that simply inhaling essential oils also poses a danger to cats. Whether absorbed through the skin or inhaled, repeated exposure to essential oils can build toxic levels to the danger point."

9. FurBabiesMama

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Adam Flowers

Adam Flowers Member

Thanks! It's a couple years old now.

11. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

@Adam Flowers
    Google "hydrosols". My vet suggested using certified organic hydrosols in the place of essential oils in diffusers and in natural cleaning products. They're much less concentrated than essential oils, but still have that pleasant scent I was looking for.

Sylvie and Adam Flowers like this.
  12. FurBabiesMama

Those are also mentioned in the article: "Hydrosols, a distilled by-product of essential oils, are considered by most to be safe for cats. If you are a big fan of aromatherapy for yourself or your animals, hydrosols may be an alternative to consider, and some household products are now using hydrosols in place of essential oils."

Adam Flowers likes this.
  13. Adam Flowers

Adam Flowers Member

Will Do! Thank you for that information, I appreciate it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.