Okay to slowly wean off pred if doing well?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Angel's mommie, Apr 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angel's mommie

Angel's mommie Member

Hi Everyone! My IBD Angel has been doing really well (mostly) over the past few months, has put on weight etc. As per the docs recommendation, I reduced his prednisolone from 1/2 tab EOD to 1/4. I'll ask the vet too, but wanted to see what folks here think as well: could I slowly taper off more and more if he does okay? Say, give him 1/4 pred tablet once every 3rd day for a few weeks and see how he does?

I've read that long term pred causes all sorts of health issues, so would love to wean him off it if possible. He's been eating really well recently, putting on weight, poops beautifully etc :cat:

Second question: As of now, Angel has been getting 4 mg of Cerenia a day and 1/2 tab pred EOD. If one is to cut back on one of those two, it would be better to cut down on the pred rather than the cerenia, correct?

EDIT: found this useful site on the subject: https://pets.thenest.com/can-just-stop-using-prednisone-cats-6535.html

Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Interesting article, I knew you had to wean them from the steroid but didn’t know why. Let us know what your vet says. One of my civies was just put on pred for a short term, hopefully he won’t need it again, but I suppose I should learn about it just in case....

Angel's mommie likes this.
  3. Angel's mommie

Angel's mommie Member

Vet sez to move to 1/4 tab every 3 days and to call them in two weeks if he continues doing well -- and to call them sooner if he isn't. Fingers crossed for Angel!

Glassgoblin and Sharon14 like this.
  4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Fingers and paws crossed for Angel!

5. Angel's mommie

Angel's mommie Member

Thank you, Sharon :bighug::bighug::bighug: Hope Colin does well too! That pred is magic.

Sharon14 likes this.
  6. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

How long has she been on the pred? Interested to see what his numbers do off of it. Rufus should probably be on it, but it caused his diabetes in the first place.

7. Angel's mommie

Angel's mommie Member

Indeed, the pred was what caused Angel's diabetes to return (he'd gone into remission two years ago) last year, and this time I haven't been able to break him out of the diabetes. I hear it's difficult to do the second time 'round; also I have a crazy schedule so could not be as rigorous as remission needs. Angel's been on pred for since December. The vet first tried Budesonide (another steroid) which is better for diabetic cats, but that did not work for him at all and possibly made things worse. The pred has been fabulous.

8. Sean & Rufus

We are trying Atopica, because of allergies and possible IBD. It's working for the itching, but not for calming his belly. In fact he was super nauseos before, and the Atopica makes it worse. My IM vet doesn't want him on pred or bude. I think we will need to switch to bude next though.

Hopefully off the pred Angel does great and goes back into remission!

Magic Johnson likes this.
  9. Angel's mommie

Angel's mommie Member

Thank you. All the best with Rufus. It's so hard, balancing all these meds and conditions :confused::arghh::)

10. Sean & Rufus

It sure is! And now his kidney numbers are creeping up too. Ugh. All the best to you and Angel too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.