GA Old civvie boy, Jonesy, sick. Any ideas what it could be....?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Elizabeth and Bertie, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Well, as if Sophie being sick wasn't enough, now my lovely boy, Jonesy, is pretty poorly too... :(

Jonesy is 18 and a half years old.
    He's lethargic, very miserable, off his food, and losing weight.
    His appetite has decreased gradually over recent weeks but has suddenly tailed off almost completely.

He's had bloodwork done and all this has come back normal (in fact, pretty good for an oldster...)
    The vet couldn't find anything wrong on physical examination: No lumps or bumps, no obvious signs of pain (other than his back legs; Jonesy has arthritis and takes Cosequin and krill oil).
    There is no temperature.
    No vomiting.
    His teeth don't seem too bad (bit of gingivitis).
    He was treated for a UTI a while back, and so had urine tests done again, which came back normal (although the vet has taken more to do a culture).

Jonesy has been prescribed an appetite stimulant to see if than enables us to get more food into him.

The next stage would be to look for things on a subtler level, and do ultrasound etc. We're not sure that we want to put Jonesy through that if there is no likely prospect of improvement.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what might be going on with him...?
    Any suggestions/questions I can put to the vet...?

Maybe this is just 'Jonesy's time'. But we really do want to help him in whatever we can...

Thanks in advance, lovely people...

Eliz

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I don't really have any ideas about what it could be, Eliz. It could be his time...but I'm not sure. Did the vet have any ideas? Maybe ask if he has any thoughts? When it was Gypsy's time, the vet gave me some ideas...we decided not to go through further testing based on what she said because there was little she could do to treat.

You might consider the ultrasound just to get an idea...and then take it from there. Just a thought...it might give some idea if it was something simple you could treat or not.

I don't have much in the way of advice, but tons of hugs for y ou!

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Eliz,

I'm sorry to hear that Jonesy isn't feeling so hectic. :(

Things I'd be looking at:

1. Is there any chance he could be constipated? (It's a real issue for Saoirse: she gets miserable and lethargic if she doesn't poop regularly.)

2. Any signs of nausea?

3. Can he smell his food properly? (Try warming the food, adding tuna water or parmesan, hand-feeding to help him 'taste' the food via Jacobson's organ.)

4. Did you get a SNAP/Spec fPL done in the bloodwork?

5. Occult pain, perhaps (maybe from teeth/mouth)? I assume that you've already tried the usual things: different textures and consistencies of food; raising the bowl, etc. You could ask the vet about doing a pain med trial with bupe to see whether that might improve eating. If Jonesy eats better on pain meds then that could possibly point to oral discomfort (or possibly pancreatitis/other source of GI discomfort).

6. Is the weight loss coincident with and proportionate to the inappetent behaviour? Perhaps try feeding a calorie-dense, bland, convalescent/recovery-type food?

Sorry for all the 'teaching granny to suck eggs' stuff, Eliz; just trying to cover any bases I can think of. I hope you can find something to help Jonesy feel better very soon. Sending healing thoughts and :bighug:s. (The ultrasound - and perhaps a dental X-ray while he's there - might give you some ideas; and peace of mind.)

Mogs

EDITED TO ADD:

Suggestions based on his bloodwork being good and no other obvious clinical signs of anything amiss.

4. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

((((eliz)))) i'm glad you've posted here to get some experienced eyes on Jonesey's situation. I can't add much except what I've just said in an email to you - is there a chance he may be depressed? Older age can affect us all a bit like that, and he's seen a few comings and goings in your household so maybe he's starting to feel a bit tired and emotional... I don't know, only a suggestion. Try "asking" him how he feels and just give him extra portions of TLC.

So hoping for an improvement.

Diana x

5. Critter Mom

Good point, Diana.

6. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I have no practical advice to give, Eliz, just wanted to say I'm so sorry Jonesy isn't feeling well, and that I'm sending prayers and healing vines his way. (((Hugs))) for you and gentle scritches for Jonesy. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Critter Mom

PS - caveat about the bupe suggestion: it can dampen appetite a little (and it can also constipate, so you need to be on top of that potential issue also). I should have explained better above: what I was angling at (but didn't express very well) was to see if you give Jonesy some bupe with the appy stimulant in play would he be more keen to eat his food?

Mogs

8. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I hate to say this, but this sounds very much like what I just went through with Tiger. We did have the ultrasound and biopsy done and it turned out to be cancer in her lymph nodes and intestines. I suggest at least having the ultrasound done and as quickly as possible.

9. Elizabeth and Bertie

Thanks so much, folks, you've given me some very wise and helpful suggestions to think about.

I have been wondering whether pain meds might help Jonesy. But, of course, the pain (which I 'think' he is feeling) is only a symptom of something else. Addressing the pain won't address the root cause, but may make him more comfortable for a while...

I'm not sure about the ultrasound and/or x-rays because, well....my feeling (rightly or wrongly) is that anything that turns up via that route (in this particular case) is not going to be something we can treat... Jonesy isn't well enough for a dental. And if it is cancer, then, there's not much we can do but try to make him more comfortable for the short time we have....

Thanks again for your thoughts, very dear people. I've got some thinking to do...

Eliz

10. Diana&Tom

Don't give up hope, Eliz. For all you know there may be something treatable going on... Just because Jonesy's getting on a bit doesn't mean he doesn't still have life left in him. I guess, ask the vet for his very best advice and research like mad... And follow your instincts.

Big hugs.

Diana x

11. Diana&Tom

PS just one more thought, probably not very relevant but I always think it's worth adding everything to the mix in these situations: is there any chance at all that Jonesy could have become allergic or sensitive to something? Ie the supplements (unlikely I know) or anything else? This only occurs to me because I was given antibiotics last week for my second tooth extraction in two months... first time round I tolerated the antibiotics ok, but this time I had severe griping pains and had to ring the dentist for advice (he told me to stop taking them straightaway but had no explanation as to why they were ok only a few weeks ago but not now).

Or is there anything you've added to the home environment recently that may be making Jonesy feel poorly?

Just a thought.
    D x

12. Critter Mom

13. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Can't add anything really but hope it is a resolvable issue xxxx

14. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Could he be in pain from arthritis?

15. Elizabeth and Bertie

DSCF1228.JPG

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Sadly, Jonesy deteriorated quite quickly. And the vet came to the house to put him to sleep on Thursday afternoon. :(

We had over 18 years with him, and he was a truly darling little boy.
    We know that all life ends, but DH and I are profoundly saddened by his death... (It's been a really tough few weeks for a number of reasons...)

Thanks again, folks.

Eliz x

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  16. Diana&Tom

(((((((Eliz))))))) you have the understanding, love and support of everyone on this board. Jonesy was indeed a most special little boy and I know how much you and Chris will miss him. Try to remember that he will live on forever in your hearts because love never dies.

RIP dear little Jonesy. You will always be so very loved.

Diana

17. Critter Mom

Oh, what a beautiful boy!

I was worried when we didn't see any updates. My heart goes out to you both, Eliz ...

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

18. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

(((Eliz))) I am so so sorry to hear that Jonesy has crossed the bridge. Sending hugs to you and DH. May your special memories of Jonesy give you peace and strength at this saddest of time.

[​IMG]

19. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

Eliz, I am so sorry to hear this. Indeed, he was a beautiful beautiful boy. *hugs*
    cat_wings>o

20. Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA)

Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA) Member

I agree with @Critter Mom, Jonesy is such a beautiful boy...so sorry for your loss, Eliz and DH. Thank you for posting his picture to share with us.

Dawn :bighug::bighug::bighug:

21. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Requiem aeternum, Jonesy.
    {{hugs}}

22. Marlena

Marlena Well-Known Member

Dear Eliz,
    I've just seen your post.
    I'm really sorry to hear that you lost this beautiful boy! He is in a better place now - just in your heart!
    Sending prayers and love to you and all your fur babies you so love and look after.
    Marlena & Rocky :cat::cat::cat::bighug::bighug::bighug:

23. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

So very sorry for your loss, fly free sweet Jonesy:bighug::bighug::bighug:

24. Elizabeth and Bertie

Oh, gosh, thank you so much for your kindness, dear people!

Jonesy did have some very particular qualities. And we have often joked that he may have been a Buddhist monk in a past life...
    Our cats are indoor/outdoor cats, but to our knowledge Jonesy has never killed any other living being. However, he certainly did hunt, but only brought home inanimate objects... When he was young a variety of objects were dragged through the catflap including an 'Action Man' doll (with missing arm), and (what appeared to be) the handlebars from a toddlers trike... He also came home on one occasion carrying a vegetable knife in his teeth. He looked like a pirate! I'm assuming that someone accidentally threw that knife out with their vegetable peelings. We still use the 'Jonesy knife' most days... (DH sharpened it today in honour of Jonesy, bless 'im....)

We have a miniscule spare bedroom that doubles as our meditation room, and there are shelves on the walls with Tibetan Buddhist statues on them. Over the years Jonesy has often accompanied DH while he's meditating; either alongside him or on his lap, but always sitting upright in meditation posture. And I've lost count of the times that I've walked into the room only to find Jonesy sitting on one of the shelves alongside a Buddhist statue, quite upright, with his eyes half closed, as though in meditation. Sometimes I've felt that I've intruded into his space and have quietly backed out of the room so as not to disturb him!

This may sound rather strange (and probably totally bonkers) to most people but....given Jonesy's history, we're following the Tibetan Buddhist tradition and aiming to keep his body undisturbed for 3 days. So, Jonesy is in the little spare bedroom surrounded by the Buddhist statues and images. (He does have ice packs around his body to slow down deterioration...) And we have a CD of Tibetan 'prayers for animals' playing and re-playing in the room to try to ensure a 'good rebirth' for him (a really strange combination of ancient religion and modern technology....)

Jonesy will be buried tomorrow, in the woods behind our garden.
    Om Mani Peme Hung...

Eliz

25. Marlena

Marlena Well-Known Member

I really like that, brilliant Eliz!

26. Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA)

Eliz,

I absolutely LOVED your post. What a character Jonesy was!! Hearing about all the little trinkets he'd bring his beans...just so adorable I cannot stand it...and how he has to be your DH's sidekick while meditating. When my BF and I do our workouts, one of his cats in particular loves it when we do floor work...going back and forth between us with his tail in our faces. Sending big hugs to get you through this difficult time....I so appreciate you sharing things about what a great life he had...quite possibly the BEST POST EVER!

Dawn :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

27. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Oh Eliz, I am so very sorry to hear about Jonesy but it is obvious he had wonderful life with you and your DH and was a very spiritual kitty. I loved your stories about Jonesy...quite the character indeed. May you be comforted by your fond memories of this adorable (and very handsome) little soul. Fly free Jonesy and send your Mama Bean and Papa Bean a sign that you have landed safely at the bridge. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

28. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Dear Elizabeth~ so very sorry that it was Jonsey's time to go into the beyond. What a wonderful way you are honoring your spiritual feline boy. Wishing for you and DH peace of his passing.

29. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Eliz: I am so saddened to hear about Jonesy. I read your post about him with much interest, especially the part about a possible past life. I lived in Cambodia for a few years- I brought my two cats with me- and I learned about some fascinating beliefs Cambodian buddhists have about cats
    1) cats will be a human in their next life
    2) karma: for most things, we will pay for things we do in this life in our next life, but many Cambodians are afraid to have interactions with cats because they will pay in this life for anything bad they will do to a cat - I asked why don't they just treat cats royally in this life and reap the rewards but somehow I never got an answer
    When I left, I had to leave my 19-20 year old end stage renal failure cat with my housekeeper - who loved her like a child. My cat View attachment 19737 lived, miraculously, for another few months. When she died, my housekeeper took her to the pagoda and had a traditional buddhist funeral for her with cremation and monks chanting. Here's a photo they sent me from the Buddhist burial in the pagoda - her body is in the orange box View attachment 19737
    Warm wishes for peace, prosperity and happiness in your next life, Jonesy and Eliz- very sorry for your loss - what a special kitty he was!!

Attached Files:

30. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Elizabeth, I am so sorry about Jonesy! He was a beautiful boy!

31. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Dearest Eliz, I am so sorry. It sounds like it was time...and you gave him a wonderful life, I know. Sending you tons of hugs.

32. Diana&Tom

As others have said, Eliz, what an amazing, beautiful post - possibly the best ever! You do write so well, you know... why not think about penning a little anthology of stories based on your real- life memories of your kitties... you could self-publish cheaply and sell copies to your cat- loving friends around the world and donate the proceeds to charity. Think about it!

Sending love and hugs at this very painful time,

Diana

33. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

Elizabeth, I'm so sorry for your loss of handsome Jonesy. He had great character. Keep those beautiful memories in your heart. Peace be with you all.
    IMG_0580 - Copy.JPG

34. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Eliz,

Smokey's blood work came back normal including a basic pancreatitis blood test. But he was not eating. Had the ultrasound done and it turned out to be pancreatitis. The GI blood panel sent out to Texas confirmed it. The ultrasound only requires a fast. Smokey is 18 or will be next week. The meds seem to be working and he will be staying on them for comfort.

35. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Elizabeth, I was so sorry to read it was Jonesy's time to go to the rainbow bridge. He sounds like a real character and I loved the photo of him in the garden.....such a sweetheart. May he rest in peace:rb_icon:

36. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to see this. May Jonesy play happily with the other kitties on the other side of the rainbowbridge. :rb_icon:cat_wings>o

37. Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA)

I thought about you both today....and how I hoped the weather your way was calm and pleasant, for a serene burial for little Jonesy...gosh, Eliz, I just adore his name. :bighug::bighug:

Dawn

38. Elizabeth and Bertie

Thank you for your many kindnesses, dear people. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

And Carol @Carol & Murphy , the story of your cat and his Buddhist funeral was inspirational; (and what a wonderful woman your housekeeper was, bless her heart... :) )

39. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Just seeing this today Elizabeth, :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    What a beautiful boy Jonesy is, I love the stories of his 'hunting' exploits, thanks for sharing.
    Fly free Jonesy.:rb_icon::rb_icon:

40. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I am so sorry....:bighug::bighug::bighug:cat_wings>o Land softly sweet boy...

41. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I am so sorry. They just don't stay with us as long as we would like, do they?

42. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

Just saw your post today Elizabeth, I am so sorry to hear about Jonesy's passing. What a handsome boy he was. I loved your idea of rebirth, what adventures he will have. Wishing you peace and comfort.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

43. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I am just now seeing this, Eliz, and I can't tell you how sorry I am at the news. What a wonderful life Jonesy had! I hope all the great memories help give your heart peace. The Buddist ritual you gave him was just lovely, too, and I'm sure he appreciates it.

Fly free, beloved Jonesy cat_wings>o

44. Megan & Oren

Megan & Oren Member

another late to the news... what a wonderful tribute to a gentle soul. Namaste to sweet Jonesy. May he travel well. And may you find comfort and peace in his memories. What a handsome boy. He looks much like a childhood kitty of mine, Mac, who was born in my room and became my greatest friend, and also a very sweet soul. Perhaps he was reborn as Jonesy and reached an even higher level of spirituality! Sorry you had to say goodbye to him now on this plane. :bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.