Old Newbie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by bobby&maggie(GA), Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobby&maggie(GA)

bobby&maggie(GA) Member

Way back in 2000, Maggie came down with what was transient diabetes. With a food change, she went into remission and had no problems for the remaining years of her life. The big C was another problem in late 2002.

Now, my 12 year old Blue has full blown diabetes with a starting BG of 596. So, after lurking on the board for several years I now am experiencing all the trauma that the true newly diagnosed go through. I'm using a One Touch Ultra2, and had a chance to compare it to the Alpha Trac 2 that my vet uses; 88/89 with the same sample.

As most vets seem to do, we started with 2u of ProZinc, and after 3 shots without testing, Blue almost crashed with a BG of 28. His PS numbers have remained below 300 and below 100 for a couple. I have a mid test for a couple with a 75-100. I still have a lot to learn, but it's good to see some old friends.

Bobby, and Blue Boy- the cat who came in from the cold after 9 years.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    What are you feeding?
    The usual starting dose is 1 unit twice daily but some vets start higher.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome back, sorry you have to be here, but as you know this is a great source of info. Go to the ProZinc forum and check out the stickies. There is some good info in them and if you have any questions post there and ask away!
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/

bobby&maggie(GA) likes this.
  4. bobby&maggie(GA)

bobby&maggie(GA) Member

At the present, I'm feeding mostly WD wet with a little WD dry. This is just food that the vet said to feed him at the start. I intend to switch to the low cards recommended on the food charts and what is used by members here.

5. bobby&maggie(GA)

bobby&maggie(GA) Member

Thank you.

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I loved my OneTouch, and often compared it to my vet's pet meter with the same kind of results you received.
    We're glad you're here on the forum to help your cat. I wish you the best of luck with Blue Boy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.