Old, old kitties

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jeannemily, May 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeannemily

jeannemily New Member

i can't seem to post an introduction, and my search has not produced any results. My newly diagnosed diabetic cat is 20 years old. She has been deaf and practically blind for several years. She is shrinking by the day. What am i hoping for in results of glucose management?

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  2. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

Welcome! I have a 16-year-old diabetic cat and a 17-year-old cat who is not diabetic. Cleo lost a lot of weight in the months before her diagnosis. She ate constantly, but the food didn't stick to her. Now that her blood sugar is well regulated, she eats much less, but she is gaining weight.

She seems happier and more friendly, in general. I feel that getting her on insulin has greatly improved the quality of her life. I didn't know how much longer Cleo will be around, but I do want her to enjoy her remaining time with me.

3. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Hi Jeanne

Welcome to the forum. Kudos to you for taking such great care of your kitteh that she has made it to 20 years old. You are making us jealous.

If your kitteh has been diagnosed with diabetes, then proper insulin doses and proper food can maintain or add weight to your kitteh. In such an old kitteh it might be a challenge. Many diabetic cats lose a lot of weight before they are diagnosed. Leo got to 12 or 13 pounds before we diagnosed him. He is now back to 18 pounds and pretty healthy.

Please feel free to post more questions on the Main Health subforum. The good thing about diabetes is that it is a very well understood disease with a good treatment regimen.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! You are so lucky to have your friend so long. With bg management she will no doubt feel better. Low carb wet food, home testing and insulin are the keys.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  5. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome.

In simple terms you will be looking to be making her feel a lot more comfortable and well. It doesn't matter the age. It matters that her body will just feel better all round.

6. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Witn was diagnosed at 17. After putting her on insulin and changing her diet she gradually regained most of her weight. Feed as much as your cat will eat of low carb foods. Until the glucose levels are under control, her body is not able to process food correctly and she wilk be hungry most of the time. Witn lived until she was 19 and it was kidney disease that she died from.

7. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

By accident we once had the fun of kittens in the home. By choice we have had many senior cats, my record is 23. They make great companions and you are doing a wonderful thing. At that age neither her glucose or anything else may be fully under control, it depends on what your definition of control is. Low carb foods and making her comfortable are a good start, we can help with the rest. This doesn't have to shorten life expectancy, it's just a little bend in the road. ;)

JeffJ and JanetNJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.