Ondansetron and cerenia

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by allie and newkitty, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allie and newkitty

allie and newkitty Member

Can these two be taken together? What is the dose of Ondansetron? I will ask my vet about this but I believe Cerenia is her go-to. It is an awesome drug but with this pancreatitis flare it does not seem to be enough. Can anyone advise?

2. Laura and Harley (GA)

Laura and Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Allie,

I'm sorry to hear the Newkitty is having another pancreatitis attack. I've been through those with my Harley and they are no fun.

Yes, Ondansetron and Cerenia can be taken together as they do two different things. Cerenia is a great drug and is chiefly effective against vomiting and it also has some anti-inflamatory properties in the GI tract. Ondansetron works to combat nausea. Cerenia can only be given for a maximum of 4 or 5 days (as it builds up in the body) and then needs to be stopped for 2-3 days before being re-started, ondansetron has no such limitation. I've found it to be very effective for Harley and my Princess kitty who has cancer and Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. She yarks almost 4 times a week and now that she's on daily ondansetron, she yarks maybe only once a week. Pepcid and Zantac did nothing for her.

The starting dose for ondansetron is 1mg every 8 to 12 hours depending on how severe the symptoms are. You can ask your vet for a script for the 4mg pills (make sure they write it for the pills and not the dissolvable sub-lingual tablets which have sugar in them) and fill at your local pharmacy but be sure to call around for the best prices. In my area, Costco had the best brick and mortar pharmacy price. WalMart, CVS, and Target might also have good prices as well. You can also buy ondansetron online from ThrivingPets.com.

Two things to also buy when you are picking up your pills are a pill cutter as you'll have to quarter the tablets to get a 1mg dose and empty gelatin capsules. Ondansetron is very bitter and might make Newkitty froth and foam at the mouth if she tastes it going down. Not fun for a kitty who's already feeling sick!

Sending Newkitty healing vines - and hugs to you!

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  3. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

No advice, just commenting on the new word for vomit - yark!

I like it!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the great information, Laura!

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  4. allie and newkitty

allie and newkitty Member

Hi Laura and Harley. Thank you so much for the information. I will ask my vet about it today. Have you ever seen a cat on here react badly to it? I found the info on side effects online but wonder if anyone here has ever really had to deal with any of them?

Pancreatitis sucks! It is hard to time all her medicine correctly with my work schedule. So poor Newba just got a pred, a cerenia, bupernex, and metronidazole all at once. Adding ondansetron will be a feat but there is nothing worse than nausea. I personally would rather be in pain.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I put the quarter tablets in Pill Pockets and Spitzer would eat them readily.

6. Laura and Harley (GA)

Laura and Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

I personally have not had any of my cats exhibit any negative reactions and I have used both Ondansetron and Anzemet (its sister drug). Ondansetron for Princess and Anzemet for Harley. I've read that ondansetron can cause constipation, sleepiness, and low blood pressure but not experienced those effects.

Is Newkitty's heart function normal? Ondansetron and Anzemet were recalled from the human market by the FDA due to their tendency to cause heart arrhythmias in human patients with pre-existing cardiovascular disease. But I've not heard of this happening to any animal that has used these drugs.

Amen, sister - pancreatitis is the worst, almost worse than cancer. Poor Newkitty baby, I hope you feel better soon. I feel your exhaustion Allie.

Hmmmm, if there's a choice between pain or nausea - I'm a chicken, give me narcotics so I don't feel either one! :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.