Ondansetron dosage

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sean & Rufus, Jan 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Hi all-

Rufus was prescribed Ondansetron on Friday. Bottle says 1 to 2 times daily, 8mg dosage. I gave him 1 yesterday am and 1 pm. Another 1 this am. It has worked really well! Well, I got to thinking about dosage for some reason, and read that it is normally prescribed at .1mg per pound!! So he should be getting 2 mg per dose, not 8! Anybody have their vet dose that high? EDIT: I do see that it can be every 8 to 12 hours dose, so an 8mg could be ok maybe for a whole day. @Critter Mom do you have any idea or suggestions?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  2. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

My girl gets 1/2 Of a 4mg tablet 2 times a day. Not sure the dosage to pounds. Phoebe weighs 15 pounds. But the vet did say we could up the dosage if needed. This is the generic of Zofran, correct?

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Yikes. That’s a large dose all at once. I gave Max 2-3 mg 2-3 times a day. He was 14-16 pounds when he got it.

Sean & Rufus and Phoebes (GA) like this.
  4. Sean & Rufus

Yes, the generic. Rufus weighs about 21 maybe 22. So if Phoebe gets 4mg and could be dosed higher, then Rufus should be ok at 8 mg a day.

5. Sean & Rufus

I think I'll cut the pill in half and give him 4mg am & pm. I will say it's working though. Eating without hesitation and no more lip smacking.

Critter Mom and Kris & Teasel like this.
  6. tiffmaxee

It worked well for Max too. If you see the smaller dose isn’t helping then increase. I like to give the smallest dose that works. It definitely doesn’t work more than a few hours which is why it can be given every 8 hours.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  7. Sean & Rufus

Thanks for that info. It's kind of funny, with pepcid he needed 5mg but all at once, once a day and it was ok. If I gave hiom 2.5mg 2x/day it didn't work the same. He's my enigma :)

8. tiffmaxee

Pepcid works differently.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  10. Sean & Rufus

11. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Sean,

For info, my vet prescribed the following for Saoirse (weight c. 10lb/4.5kg):

1-2mg every 8-12 hours to a maximum of 4mg per day.

I used to give her 2mg q12 hrs. If she had a flare I'd give it every 8 hours as follows:

- 1mg morning and late afternoon (when I could coax/assist feed if necessary)
    - 2mg dose to see her through the night.

Very glad to hear Rufus is eating a bit more comfortably now.

Mogs

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  12. Sean & Rufus

Thanks Mogs. I replied in the other thread too. 8mg dose was working, dropped down to 4mg and wasn't as good, so back up to 8mg with a little improvement, but not as good when initially started. He ate some dry food the other day for a couple days, and hasn't since. He's been kinda doing lip smacking again. Wondering if it's teeth casuing the issues.

13. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Lip smacking is often a sign of nausea, but if he's just generally "fussing" with his mouth it could be mouth-related pain.

14. Sean & Rufus

He doesn't do it when he's "awake" really, just mostly when you wake him up or when he's kinda laying there. He's not doing it today, but he's had gabapentin and ondansetron. I've tried doing either 1 or the other and can't conclusively say it's pain or nausea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.