One Oldbie and a newbie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Koko's humans, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koko's humans

Koko's humans New Member

Hi all,
    My guess is that most of you will have no idea who I am. I used to post quite regularly when the infamous Pico was first diagnosed over 14 years ago now. He was 6 at the time and lived 11 years with diabetes before he died of cancer at the age of 17. He was one of a kind and his stories will go on forever.
    My name is Shirley and I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. I am a masters student of divinity. I am 51 and have never been married. I have 4 legged furkids. When I first joined FDMB I was Mom to Pico and Fuzz. They both are at the bridge now. I loved them more than life and miss them every day.
    The newbie is Jennifer (aka Jenn). She is another divinity student and is 39. She is divorced. We are roommates while doing our studies. She is also a cat lover.
    Furkids in order of their arrival:
    Geeta is 4 years old, she is a beautiful grey kitty. She has been here the longest and is the queen. Her name means love and she is a real lovebug. She loves everyone and insists they will love her too. She was adopted from a shelter when she was 6 months. She had a previous home but the owners gave her up because she is allergic to fleas and they didn't want an indoor cat. Turns out she is also allergic to grain and preservatives so they all very expensive food b/c of her. Amazingly, I didn't say I was dumping her b/c she has health problems b/c oh yeah, they are MY kids and I wouldn't throw out a child b/c they had health problems. She loves belly rubs.
    Yazhi (pronounced like jazzy with a y) is 5 years old. I adopted her when she was 18 months old. I wanted an older kitty to teach Geeta some manners - lol like that worked. Yazhi's name means little one - she is a small black and beige tabby who likely has quite a bit of manx in her. Abandoned 3 times before coming to live with me, she has a serious anxiety disorder. She takes prozac for that and is doing well. She is a very sweet little girl.
    Placher is 10 months old and is named after my favourite theologian - William S. Placher (pronounced play-ker). He is beige and white. Was adopted through a rescue agency who found him when he was about 3 months-old and trapped inside a thorn bush. Very sweet, so clearly was socialized before being dumped. My sister-in-law sent me his pic through FB and it was love at first site.
    Koko is the latest addition to our crew. He is the sugarcat. He is 10. His pic and story was posted through DCIN. Long-haired grey and black, he is a gorgeous boy. Newly diagnosed. His mother was in the military and was about to be deployed. Her husband said he couldn't take on any more when she was away - they have 2 toddlers, a Newfoundland dog, and another cat. He refused to do needles and bloodtests too. I have always said if a local sugarcat came up through DCIN I would take it. I consider it pay it forward for all the help I was given when Pico was first dx'd. I am also a diabetic and on Lantus so she are sharing insulin and testing supplies. He was just dx'd in January and treatment just started this past week. And, so begins the journey again. His bgs are already improving.
    We will be checking around the lantus board mostly, just wanted to say hello.
    Shirley & Jenn

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome. I do remember the name Pico.

3. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Welcome back! They all sound sweet, not just Koko.

4. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome back :)

5. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello Koko's humans, Shirley and Jenn, and welcome back to FDMB :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.