? One week with diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mom2Floyd, Nov 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mom2Floyd

Mom2Floyd New Member

Hi all! My Floyd was diagnosed with diabetes last weekend (bs 641). I've been giving him 2 units of Lantus twice daily. Also switching to Science Diet glucose/weight control dry food.
    Got a blood sugar tonight of 459 (took 4 tries but we did it!) I'm concerned that it's still so high.
    Floyd is about 6 years old and is down to 10 pounds. Now what?

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Mom2Floyd and Floyd, welcome to FDMB. It's great that you are testing so that you can see what the insulin is doing, and to help keep Floyd safe.
    I suggest you make a signature so Floyd's pertinent info is available with each of your posts. Here is a link on how to do that:
    SIGNATURE
    Have you been testing for the last week? That takes a bit of getting used to, doesn't it? I assure you, it gets easier. A treat after, and even before, will help Floyd learn that testing is ok. We use low carb treats like freeze dried chicken or even little pieces of cooked chicken breast. Don't forget your treat too!
    We use a spreadsheet to track the BG test results, as well as the insulin shot time and dose. The members advising you will need that info for input about "what's next". Here is a link on getting that set up: SPREADSHEET
    Next, the Science Diet glucose/weight control dry food is not a good choice for a sugar cat. A low carb wet food is recommended and we have a wonderful food chart by Dr. Lisa Pierson (www.catinfo.org) located right at the top of this forum in a yellow tagged info thread. Will Floyd eat canned food? There is another very useful thread there about dry food. Many of us feed Fancy Feast classics and Friskies pates. Sugar cats should have under 10% carbs, better under 7%. The amount of calories is determined by the ideal weight of your cat. The chart details calories per can size for many canned foods, as well as protein, fats, phosphorus and carbs. Dr Pierson recommends " start with protein minimum of 40, fat maximum of 50, carb max of 10, and for cats with kidney issues....phos less than 300."
    However, changing his diet from dry to wet low carb can lower the BG by as much as 100 points, so you want to be testing, always before shots, and between cycle tests to see how low he goes.... and do it gradually to prevent any hypo events.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Reason for edit: Add comments
    SOBrien and Jill & Jade like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.