? Ongoing infection

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nada, Mar 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nada

Nada Member

Farafero has a recurrent infection that caused his gums to bleed. That was before he turned diabetic. he had it for months but the vets I used to visit weren't any good, they didn't even ask for a cbc. He took 3 courses of antibiotics. Subcut ceftriaxone, then metronidazole and unasyn and at last ciprofloxacin.it was finally gone and his wbc came down to normal. I did the cbc again because he was suffering from anemia about a week and a half later, and there comes the infection again just as severe. The vet told me to repeat the last course again. that was about a month ago. I haven't went there ever since because I was financially depleted and did tons of tests in only one month.

Could that be the reason why he wouldn't get regulated? Also, before I started home testing I'd visit the vet every couple of days to check his BGL and he'd be anywhere from 120 to 400, and that was on 2 units. I never see the lower numbers anymore, could that mean he developed resistance?

Also how should I adress the dose? Do I have to complete the 6 cycles before increasing even if his BGL is always high?

The SS is missing a couple of AMPS but that was because I wasn't home to test him.

He's always a little dehydrated should I worry about that, and give him subcutaneous fluids? I give him chicken soup which he loves.

2. rawia

rawia Member

Hi Nada, i am sure that more expert people will help you but yes teeth and gum infection and any kind of other infection can make BG goes high like crazy.

Tanya and Ducia and Nada like this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

And they didn't do a dental cleaning? He doesn't need extractions?

4. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Hi Nada,
    the ongoing infection of any kind would elevate the BG and complicate regulation. The teeth problems are notorious for hindering remissions. I do not have any practical advise for you but here are people who dealt with alike and could help out.
    What I suggest is to get as many eyes on your post as possible and for that rephrase your Title line to something include words like ongoing infection and dose advise. When you Edit your title change the prefix (left of the title line) from the drop down menu to question mark - you'll get more people to stop by to comment. Sundays in the US are a little quiet . If you don't hear from anyone just reply to your own post to bump it up on the Forum list.
    Before going SQF I'd try to add a table spoon of warm water to his meals and mix it in, note how much he drinks and see if that helps first. I gave my cat up to 100 ml/ day extra this way. The SQF has its dangers and better to get a vet to assess the need.
    I hope Farafero feels better soon!

Teresa & Buddy and Nada like this.
  5. Nada

Nada Member

They did a dental cleaning and his gums aren't inflamed anymore. They would have done an extraction if it was still inflamed or swollen.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Do you know if they took dental x-rays before and after the cleaning? If they didn't get x-rays, there may be infection below the gum line. It's unusual to have a dental infection after a cleaning unless there is an abscess or other problem like stomatitis that's causing inflammation or infection.

7. Nada

Nada Member

I don't think they did a professional dental cleaning. They just removed the plaque around his teeth.
    I honestly cannot afford to do an x-ray or anything like that. I'm still a student as it is. I was hoping that giving him another course of antibiotic that is stronger would help eliminate the infection?

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Was your cat under anesthesia when they did the dental? If not, I gotta tell you, it is irresponsible on the vet's part. Trying to scrape tartar off of a cat's teeth when the cat's awake is NOT recommended and can cause more problems -- like infection. This is an article from my former vet's office (I moved) on anesthesia free dental cleaning.

9. Nada

Nada Member

He was not under anaesthesia. But believe me when I tell you they are the best where I live, but aloso extremely expensive.. if I had gone to any other vet when my cat got into dk, he would have been a goner by now. There aren't many experts in Egypt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.