only week 2 on ProZinc advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mister's Owner, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

So my cat is 11 1/2 yrs 13 lbs. 8 oz

Im using the precision Xtra meter

I started with 1 unit and tried feeding twice a day,
    but he would vomit.
    He seems to do best with 1 5.5 oz can at 8a with shot ,and half can at 2p, whole can 8p and other half at 130a.

i tried low carb fancy feast and his numbers went through the roof..
    also was laying in litter box and licking a lot.
    so I suspect kidney impairment
    So I stopped fancy feast and went back to friskies... problem gone

I can only get him to eat beef and gravy shreds- friskies
    its high in carbs but lower on phosphorous and
    we started 1 1/2 units yesterday and numbers are slowly coming
    down.
    Do I need to change anything?
    He is running and playing and drinking lots.
    Also has anyone had there cats ears starting to not want to bleed?
    I was trying to stay away from little red circle spots as they are sore and it took 5 pokes to get a spot to bleed this morning.
    I feel so bad .

All advice plz...
    also he was loosing weight till the canned gravy now he is slowly gaining his 1 lb back.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

It sounds like you and he are doing pretty well for only two weeks into this dance. I have a couple suggestions. Getting him to eat a lower carb food would be beneficial. Friskies Special Diet is often used for kidney kitties. There are lots of tricks to getting them to eat the pate foods. My cat doesn't like the texture, so I add more warm water and make a gravy (good for kidneys too). Some people have had luck dressing the food with a favorite treat like Bonito flakes or one of the freeze dried treats.

If he is acting better and seems to be feeling better, that is a very important part of this puzzle.

Here is a protocol we put together for ProZinc that could be helpful.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/protocol-for-prozinc-pzi.109077/

Also, we can help you set up a spreadsheet. It's a great color coded tool that is handy for you, your vet and for us to see the history of dosing and levels, when you need help.

3. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry. Missed your spreadsheet. It looks like he is dropping midcycle and for some pre shots. You might do a curve someday when you are home - a test every 2-3 hours during the day to see exactly how and when the insulin works.

If he won't eat the lower carb foods and needs to gain weight, you just dose accordingly. Have you seen this website by a vet? (www.catinfo.org.) She has lots of ideas for transitioning difficult cats to low carb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.