Onre coming home late tonight situations still tenuous Need BG regulation help & suggested care plan

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Onre, Jun 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onre

Onre Member

There's no more money to keep spending on emergency care so Onre is coming home. I am told she is a very sick kitty. I think she is but she also is exhausted from lack of sleep and the continuous feeding and venous poking. The feeding tube did not get put in because her sodium is high at 179 it's been steadily climbing. My personal seems less concerned about the sodium whereas the emergency vets are. Her potasium is low normal at 3.5 which is generally where it's been for about a month now. I am not sure what other electrolyte values is but I am told it's normal. She has never been tested for anemia but her gums are pink and they say a normal color for a sick cat. I was told she was producing ketones upon admission because I wanted to be sure she still is not producing ketones I just called and they checked with the vet. I was told she has never been tested for ketones during her entire stay. Unfortunately, this is not the only contradiction that I've found. Most I've found are because the right hand does not tell the left what was said. The left gets on shift and reads the exact notes and tells me what was done. It makes me really sad and frustrated it's unethical and make me feel that some of the vets (but not all) don't value my cat's life. She still cannot walk far although farther than a few days ago. After a certain point she literally just collapses though. For most of her stay she has stared off into space and does not seem to know I exist. Yesterday was different especially after she was brought to me in collapsed state on my visit. I roused, her massaged her and managed to get her in to coherence. I syringe fed her myself and she seemed recognized me and respond. The vet seemed to be advocating for euthanasia when she came in. My cat was about 6.5 lbs upon admission she feels lighter. One vet told me she is getting 2 cans of food per day another only one can. They are saying we should should syringe feed 25 mls every 4 hours of AD food The vet is supposed to figure out kilocalories/cans when she is released.Her BG have kept swinging high in the 400 range.

So the positive is we switched her to Lantus. There have been some closer to normal ranges but that is the support of short acting insulin. The last was at 136. . But my first question is how could we continue to support with short acting insulin? I started to post this and it didn't go up for some reason and I went back to the vet to compare insulin meters. They would to draw her blood in front of me even thought I told them I am not sqeeamish. Instead they brought blood into the room. The meters were apha track, relion and the vet had Bayer Breeze meter. The alpha was nearly the same, relion about 18 off. The BG was 425. The vet gave Lantus I am not sure how many units but I think they are giving her two units. After the shot she began to stiffen and shake. They said it was not a seizure. Her heart rate was much higher. It seems they only gave her 3 mls of food this afternoon and a very little water. Her mouth was dusty dry. She is dehydrated. They don't seem interested in her surviving. If this was not a public board I'd comment more. Basically, this is not a practice that tends to advocates for customers to become knowledgeable.It's the closest emergency vet they are pricey but the other one is worse. I wish she was beign discharged hydrated and standing ect but she is not. They are making it clear they don't feel she will or should survive and they don't like questions. I hope someone can tell me something that will help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.