Onre has diabetes and pancreatitis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Onre, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onre

Onre Member

We got a crash into diabetes literally. Emergency vet, Ketoacidosis, fatty liver (probably) and pancretitis. The vet wanted me to euthanize. Today is the first day I think she could be turning the corner. I have been syringe feeding and doing fluids. Milk thistle, Sam E, buprenex, metro (just stopped) , clavimox, taurine and a few more things. is I am glad to have found this board. If anyone has dealt with pancreatitis and won please post.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  3. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Many members have many illnesses including pancreatitis and DKA and FD
    you are not alone....posting in the main forum may get more eyes on your situation?

4. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

My cat Buddy is diabetic and has pancreatitis. At this time he is having a pancreatitis flare, I think it started on Sunday evening, this is of many. There are certain anti-nausea meds that are used and pain killers for pancreatitis. I have learned to watch for signs that Buddy is getting pancreatitis. When it seems that pancreatitis is coming on I start giving him meds for pancreatitis. You need to have meds at home for after vet hours, holidays and when you cannot reach the vet. Now that Buddy is diabetic I have to make sure that he eats so he can take his insulin, sometimes this is tricky. All of these things are manageable, it just takes a little time and effort. You have come to the right place to get help and information for the health issues your kitty has. Everyone will be more than happy to help you. My cat Buddy is home, he has not been to the vet for this flare because I know how to take care of him.

Kris & Teasel and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  5. Onre

Onre Member

Wolfey what meds do you keep on hand?

6. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I have Jones on cerenia for nausea. I don't have Jones on a pain med as his pancreatitis seemed to be just the one occasion but it was severe and took about 2 months to get things settled.

@Phoebes is a great source for information as well on supplements, medications and food to help out with a pancreatic kitty.

7. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't know about great, lol but definitely have a kitty who has chronic pancreatitis and IBD along with arthritis and diabetes. Wolfey is right. They are manageable. Phoebe takes gabapentin and buprenex for pain/ inflammation. She gets zofran, and cerenia for nausea and vomitting. We just starting giving her a supplement that @jayla-n-Drevon suggested along with Bobbie and Bubba called pancreas booster from petalive. She takes a probiotic with digestive enzymes. And pumpkin for constipation and diarrhea. It's alot but she has been sick for awhile. We are on month 4 of insulin and we are on 14units starting tomorrow, but only because she is likely insulin resistance. She's kinda stubborn like kitties are. :) she also gets sub q fluids every other day, advised by my vet. And she has been getting adequan every 4 days for her joints. This is the best place on the Internet every person on here cares about their furbabies so much. There is so much exsperience and support. Just ask everything you can. Learn learn learn. Knowledge Is power. And there are no stupid questions so I've been told lol you are not alone :bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. jayla-n-Drevon

cerenia and ondansetron are probably the most helpful.
    Ondansetron for nausea and cerenia stops the vomit reflux and for some reason it seems to make 1 of mine want to eat although that is not indicated on it.
    Fluids help lots too-
    @manxcat419 will know the medical reason fluids help--

9. Teresa & Buddy

I keep on hand Cerenia, and Ondansetron for nausea, sometimes 1 will work better for your Kitty than the other. Cerenia is used for throwing up and some vets say that it helps with the pain of pancreatitis. Ondansetron is for nausea. I also have Cyproheptadine, it is an appetite stimulant, do not use this while kitty is nauseated. Pepcid original strength, this is an acid reducer and can be bought over the counter in many stores. I have FortiFlora here to put on Buddy's food to entice him to eat, his vet says it also helps with loose stools. I have been giving Buprenex for pain, I have some left from another time. I think you need to have at home either Cerenia or Ondansetron and if possible something for pain. I sure hope your Kitty is feeling better, I do not have any experience with DKA or Fatty Liver, but if you have any questions about pancreatitis, I would be happy to tell you what I know.

10. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

It's really just to prevent dehydration. Generally panc cats will be off their food, plus possibly not feeling like drinking enough either if they're really nauseous. And any kind of underlying infection can kind of 'run through' everything they're taking in pretty quickly too...I've seen cats drop a fairly large percentage of their body weight in just a couple of days if they have an infection and aren't eating much. Mostly everything we can give for panc is supportive...it's often just keeping the cat strong enough to heal on their own.

11. Teresa & Buddy

I agree about the fluids, most kittys lose their appetite and become dehydrated when they have pancreatitis. Whenever I have taken Buddy to the vet for pancreatitis he always needs fluids. I think they feel better when they receive fluids.

jayla-n-Drevon and manxcat419 like this.
  12. jayla-n-Drevon

I thought I had seen somewhere on a thread about it helping to relieve inflammation and something with reducing dilation.

Can't remember ...maybe @Tuxedo Mom

manxcat419 likes this.
  13. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

You could very well be right. It's not the reason I've heard, but as we well know, not all vets know everything.

14. Teresa & Buddy

Are you talking about receiving fluids or about 1 of the other meds.

15. Teresa & Buddy

How is your kitty doing, is she at home. How is the DKA and fatty liver. When I 1st found out Buddy had pancreatitis, I joined a yahoo group Feline Pancreatitis. They are very helpful with Pancreatitis, also they help with other issues your Kitty may have. I still get post from them along with FDMB.

16. jayla-n-Drevon

I was talking about giving sub Q fluids to help with comfort-hydration and I thought I had read there was a medical reason that they lessened the flare up.

17. Teresa & Buddy

Sub Q Fluids contain electrolites (spelling) and I don't think they lessen flares.

18. Onre

Onre Member

My kitty is getting better and starting to eat and drink on her own. I am trying to figure out which things to continue so she remains in better health. I will post on the main board about this.

19. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Glad she is improving :bighug:. Make sure in your thread title on Main Health, has something like "Need help with post DKA" or "DKA Recovery help"

Edit: Apologies, I didn't not see you had already made a thread ;)

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  20. Teresa & Buddy

That is wonderful !!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.