Onyx may be a once per day kitty on Prozinc?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Debbie and Onyx, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debbie and Onyx

Debbie and Onyx New Member

Hi everyone, it has been a while. I use to be on the old board but haven't been here in a while. Onyx is about 13 yrs old and was diagnosed in July of '08. We recently switched from Vetsulin to Prozinc. I read that a small percentage of cats can actually only need an injection once per day. We started low and we're at 1u now. She was on .6-.8 (u100 syringe) when she was on Vetsulin.

On the 1u her nadir so far has been at +12. :shock: at PMPS.

I don't have too many #'s yet but here is the last mini curve I did on the 1u.

AMPS 297 1u
    +7 248
    +8 231
    +9.5 235
    +10.5 217
    PMPS 196

And since there is an overlap I didn't give her any insulin at PMPS time (I couldn't stay up to watch her and check #'s) having no idea what amount to give and how it much more it would drop. The next morning it was 292.
    Once I get her nadir close 100 it looks like she may be a once a day dose kitty? Or a very small PMPS dose?
    I really like this insulin so far and she's much more playful and affectionate on it. Once I do a full curve this weekend I may be going up to 1.2. We'll see.

What do you all think of the #'s so far?

2. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Glad to hear she's liking the PZI.

The 1.0 isn't dropping her to a low enough peak so I'd drop the dose back to .8 in order to shoot twice a day. The other thing I would recommend is that you do another curve and keep testing to find out exactly how much duration she is getting, even if it is past +12. That will give you an idea of how much overlap you're dealing with on a twice a day shot. It's very possible that once you shoot a couple of times with good overlap, you'll need to reduce the dose.

3. Debbie and Onyx

Debbie and Onyx New Member

I'll try that. Thanks!

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

That's awesome Debbie! I don't have much advice, but just wanted to say hello & welcome!

Bix went SID for a while, but that was when he started getting too low to shoot at +12, and he usually nadired closer to +6, so I'm not sure my experience with him would apply to Onyx's situation. With Bix I ended up experimenting first with lowering the dose to continue BID, and when I couldn't seem to get good nadirs on that, I switched to raising the dose and going with the longer duration. At one point his duration seemed to be til around +16, which made it hard to figure out how to schedule the shots since I didn't want to leave him in higher #s from then til +24.

Keep us posted how things are going! As you get more data, I think it will become clearer to you what is working for Onyx. Sometimes those late nadirs aren't consistently late either, I still haven't quite figured that out with some cats. Sometimes it seems to be a sign the dose is too high, but not always.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.