Oops... Halo Liv-a-Littles

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tara and Nick, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tara and Nick

Tara and Nick Member

It never occurred to me to read the label on the Halo Liv-a-Littles... I had no idea that you were supposed to refrigerate them after opening, until I finally noticed it this morning (after using this container unrefrigerated for a month or so). I figured they were just like regular shelf-stable treats! It also says best within 30 days. I still have half a container left and these things aren't cheap. Do you think they're still OK to use or should I pitch them and get new jar?

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

are they freeze dried treats? I use freeze dried too, different brand, and I just keep them in a air tight "treat" jar, they've been fine

3. Tara and Nick

Tara and Nick Member

Yep, they're the freeze-dried chicken pieces and they come in sealed jar. I feel like if they had gone bad, kitty would have let me know!

4. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

weird, I wonder if it's marketing ploy, to get u to buy more, more often, lol!
    they are rather expensive, at least for me anyway.

I'd be curious to see what others think.

5. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

They're not refrigerated in the store, so I wouldn't think it would matter too much. I generally go by smell, and if in doubt, chuck it. Keep in mind the dead things they kill and nibble on throughout the day in the wild. Pretty strong guts, I'd imagine.

6. Julie & Aztec (GA)

Julie & Aztec (GA) New Member

I've never refrigerated them and they've always been fine. Or at least Aztec has never had a problem eating them, even months after they've been opened.

7. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Yeah, if it's no good, they won't eat it! Probably just means there's very little preservatives, which is usually a good thing!

8. Tara and Nick

Tara and Nick Member

Thanks, all! He still snarfs them down, and they still smell like normal (like chickeny styrofoam!), so I'll keep using them and start refrigerating them now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.