? Opinions on auto feeders

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mimis mom, Oct 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

I bought the catmate two auto feeder (so I feed them twice when I’m home and it feeds them twice when I’m away- so it’s about every 3 hours)
    But I see everyone recommending the Petsafe 5 auto feeder, however, I’ve also read reviews that the cats figure out how to push the wheel up to get to the next compartment of food. I tried just now to see if it’s easy or not and it kind of is. The two slot one is almost impossible to do so, but my complaint about the CatMate brand is the plastic is cheap and it’s not even BPA free (or at least I can’t find that anywhere) you can tell it’s cheap.. why does eating surface matter again? I know I’ve always fed them on glass but I’m wondering what the deal with plastic was. Do they even live long enough to see the long term effects of what eating off of plastic does?
    Thanks for listening to my rant at the end! Haha

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Some cats get feline allergy from plastic dishes. Plastic can get fine scratches that trap germs and bacteria. Also, plastic can have yucky stuff like BPA and phthalates. You can put a stainless steel or glass bowl inside of the feeder so that your cat is not actually eating off the plastic. I seem to recall seeing discussions (maybe even photos) here about people doing that.

3. Mimis mom

Ya someone told me about little dishes from crate and barrel I think? But those were to fit into the 5 feeder from petmate. I need to look around ASAP. The petmate one at least says the plastic is BPA free and you can tell it’s better quality by feeling it.
    I feed them twice out of those and four other times out of glass dishes. (The twice is when I’m gone at work)

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

The plastic can sometimes give them chin acne.
    I used to put the little paper patty cake containers into the auto feeder and put the food in those.
    Do you know what I mean?
    If you make small cakes you put the mixture in them and have little individual cakes.
    There are usually two sizes, or there are here in Australia, and I bought the larger size and it fitted well into the sections.

5. Mimis mom

Omg thing with that is I worry they will eat the paper, lol. Is it still good for wet food?

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I used them in the auto feeder for ages with no problems. I changed them each day. Sheba was a great eater but never tried to eat the paper patties

7. Mimis mom

I’ll have to try it! Mimi loves chewing on paper though. She’ll rip apart paper bags with her teeth. She’s also a plastic bag muncher too.

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You may be able to find tiny glass dishes.
    I couldn't, that is why I used the paper ones.
    Maybe trial it while you are there

9. Amina&M'row

Amina&M'row Member

I hide all my plastic bags in a drawer so M'row can't get at them and eat them.Same as eating string, I think they're dangerous.

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I agree, both are dangerous. The ones I am mentioning are paper.

Amina&M'row likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.