Opinions please

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Shelly and Spaceman, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelly and Spaceman

Shelly and Spaceman Member

Hi All,
    Feeburt is giving me hills instead of valleys. I know if he were a regular diabetic I would think maybe too much insulin and cut him back. Is this the case with Acro cats? Or is it the opposite...He needs more.
    Can you guys check out his chart and give me some feedback.

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Sorry for forgetting - what insulin were you using before the switch to Levemir?

If Lantus, you may be able to decrease the dose a little

3. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

The only time you got nice numbers was the one evening, back on the 17u. I understand that you dropped the dose in the hopes that Lev would require less "juice" than Lantus, but to me it looks like you need to go up. It would be very worthwhile to get some other opinions here - I don't have near as much experience as the more long-term people. Maybe catch them on FB and ask them to post over here so others can learn?

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I have even less experience, and only got up to 14u on Lantus before Shadoe came tumbling down and I switched to Lev in the middle of it all. We are on our way back up, but I still can't comment on what to do. I put good use to R to bring Shadoe and Oliver down to less crazy numbers, but you don't use R at all, so that does not help you either. Sorry.

Are you on fb? That is a good idea as you may be able to contact a few who have lots of experience there.

5. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Actually she dropped and held the lower dose because on the first dose of Levemir, Feeburt hit his first blue ever, so shed overfill became a question.

And Shelly, it's always tough when you look at numbers like these, but IMO I think he needs more, not less. I'd recommend holding him to 6 cycles rather than 4 cycles for at least the first couple increases just to make sure the Levemir doesn't take longer than the Lantus to register there's been an increase.

How interested in you are using R? Looks like that could help you if you want to do that over the weekends or at night?

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

I just sent a note to several of the Acromoms on Facebook asking them to come here.

Woops - sorry Carolyn - sent the note to you also

7. Shelly and Spaceman

Thank you,
    Carolyn, I asked here because I didn't want you to get sick of me!

I kind of think he needs more too. Just wanted to check myself. I will wait to raise until tomorrow night and I think I will raise him back to 17.

As for using R. I am becoming more interested. That's a good idea to start using it on the weekends and at night. I'm still not comfortable using R when I won't be home which is usually all day. As hard as I try they won't fire me. Which is a good thing since I need cash to buy the gallons of insulin I am injecting into my cat.

***Please cat Gods...Keep my other 3 healthy. Spaceman has already had to go to the ER twice. The kitten twins...Well...Mike eats inappropriate things and luckily has vomited all of them buck up. and Dave seems to have some sort of breathing thing. He grunts when you hold him. Please keep them well.***

8. sanrun

sanrun Member

I think it's time to raise the dose. Cecil (GA) responded about the same on Lantus and Levemir. Using R helped Cecil's numbers, check out his SS. I was nervous about shooting the R, but after awhile it wasn't a big deal. Try it on the weekends when your home, just to see how he responds. The R kicked in for Cecil at about 2 hours, I think that's pretty normal. But, there are exceptions so best to learn your cat's pattern. If you have any other quetions, PM or post on my facebook. (Sandy Stefanski).

Take Care,
    Sandy Dottie & SKippy

9. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I have to agree about using R; it took away alot of my worries for damage due to prolonged high numbers.

I started quite low, at 0.1u, because it's fast acting and powerful, I think. Because ECID, you will learn how your cat reacts; I have found Shadoe seems to react faster than Oliver.

All you want to do is pull down that ps number to something decent until your Lantus or Lev can take over. R is like a yank on a chain to stop the rise and start downwards with L handing off at +2 or +3, whenever Feeburt usually starts to come down. R is in, done, and gone, usually before you know it.

You can look at Shadoe's and Oliver's ss if you like to see how I have been using R and how it's affected their numbers.

When you see high numbers, it's so hard to wait those first few hours and see the numbers still going up, so why not get a head start with R and stop the rise.

10. Shelly and Spaceman

Ok...you guys talked me into it! i wish I hadn't thrown away that vile of R from Cosmo. You still don't need a prescription, right?
    Thanks!

11. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

I don't think you need a prescription for R
    (definitely don't need one for N)

12. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

No rx needed for any insulins in Canada, at least not for Lantus, Lev or R.

13. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

You don't need an rx for R in Texas. I got my vial at the Walgreens around the corner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.